Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

assistance/direction upgrading my home security system

looking for some assistance or direction on upgrading my security system...
Im decent with electronics and wiring, but have never worked with security systems before...

I just moved into a house that has an ADT system (assuming its original from 2000)
I dont want to pay for monthly service, and I dont think ADT will reset the password for me either, so I just want to replace it.

I would really like a system I can monitor/arm remotely from my android if its not terribly expensive.

The current setup is a keypad by the garage door (422-2195 rev B) and a box in my closet with a circuit board and a bundle of wires (labeled concord 60-806)

Can I just replace the keypad at the garage door? Or do I need to also replace the box upstairs?

Any recommendations on brands/models?
I eventually will also want to switch out my thermostat to wifi controlled as well if that matters.

Thanx for any help
Danny

dcastillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #2

After a lot of research... I think I found the installer code... gonna wait till the am to try it... don't want to accidentally set the alarm off at night
What I can't seem to fond is the user manual to see how to set up the master code and user codes...
Can anyone help with that?
Thanx

Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #3

Instead of trying to mess with the current system, why not just take it all out and start new? Electronics have come a long way since 2000. Several companies sell DIY wireless systems that can be easily configured any way you want.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
dcastillo (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #4

I would love to replace the entire security system and HVAC with an internet connected system.... but money is an issue ATM (between the AC going out, just put a new roof on and a 3 and 4 yr old plus soon to have one on the way)

My main concern is to at least have an armed house to set off a loud alarm if someone breaks in which considering my neighborhood, that would probably deter most since the alarm would awake the neighbors as well...
Also, it would make the wife feel safer when Im gone on business trips...

question, should I disconnect the phone line going into the control box upstairs? To ensure ADT has no control over my system...

Thanx
Danny
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

Depends where you live but I just got a flyer from Comcast who are making a big push into home security as more value add on their broadband network. They can do remote camera(s), HVAC control, and much more. I believe they use existing system where it makes sense (sensors and wiring mostly) and then put a new panel in with their control head gear. I think they bury the cost in monthly fee and require you to stay on for 24-36 months.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousB For This Useful Post:
dcastillo (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #6

thanx for the info, but at the moment, Im trying to stay away from monthly bills...
I even got rid of our cable bill and just put up a small HD antenna... pulls in about 40 channels perfectly...
tried to talk the wife out of our monthly home phone and wanted to port it over to GVoice, she didnt like the idea though...
-Danny
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #7

just to be clear to get the home owners insurance discount for an alarm system it has to be centrally monitored. A local only system won't qualify. Not sure if this matters to you but thought I would mention it.
The Following User Says Thank You to curiousB For This Useful Post:
dcastillo (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #8

Another alternative that I chose was to go for an online monitoring company. You still have a monthly bill but is is a lot lower than the usual providers, like about $10/month. The one I use is AlarmRelay. The system works with a specifically provisioned VOIP box that sits on your network and is connected to your alarm system dialer. Of course to use this you will need to already have a high speed internet connection.

They operate out of California and have provided really good service and response is very fast. It is kind of refreshing to call them and talk with folks in Cali that are very knowledgable about their product, and not feel like you got dumped into a call center in who-knows-where.

Of course there are vulnerabilities like any alarm. Must have power to all the equipment and cable lines can be cut. To address the first I have my network gear on a UPS (the Comcast cable ISP service usually stays up here during power outages at least for several hours). To address the second I rerouted my cable to be completely hidden and inaccessible short of disassembling a deck.

Anyway, just another idea for you...
Old 08-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

I know this isn't what you asked about exactly, but I have owned ten houses and have had monitored security systems in about half of them. They are, in my opinion, way more trouble than they're worth. In 30 years, I've never once had a legitimate alarm - all were accidental. It's worse if you have teenage kids in the house who forget to disarm before opening a door.

Where I live now, police response to a monitored alarm or 911 call would be 45 minutes or more - essentially useless. We have a good inventory of our valuables for insurance purposes, and both my wife and I own guns and know how to use them. That, and nosy neighbors who also own guns, is plenty for us.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
both my wife and I own guns and know how to use them.
hmmm that's a good solution, turn a petty theft into a murder.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
hmmm that's a good solution, turn a petty theft into a murder.
And your solution?? I would never assume somebody who has broken into my house is there just to steal something.

Since this tangent has nothing really to do with the OP's original question, I suggest we do not continue it.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 08-29-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcastillo View Post
After a lot of research... I think I found the installer code... gonna wait till the am to try it... don't want to accidentally set the alarm off at night
Thanx
I bought a house and have the identical touch keypad and alarm system as yours. After I have done research on the internet, now I'm able to arm it and disarm it. I unplug the phone line from the Concord express system 60-806 metal box so that it won't call ADT center. Now I want to change call to ADT with my own cell phone# but don't know how to. Someone saying need an alphanumeric touchpad to re-program to change the phone number. I don't want to erase the already programs just what to change the phone#. Do you have any idea?
alhome09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #13

Many of the ADT alarm boxes were DSC 1555 alarms or Vista panels...just repackaged to ADT specifications. Many (most) ADT alarm apnels cannot be re-programmed to call anything except ADT call centers. They can be set up and the optional communicator turned off. To do this you must get into installer programming and this takes the ADT installer code which they will not release.
If you want a manual....just compare your panel to a DSC 1555 or a Vista panel.

You would be much better off to just get a new DSC 1832 panel and associated key pads....the older keypads will NOT work with the newer panels. All your contacts should work just fine with a new panel along with your local siren / bell. Your investment should be less than $200 and you will program it allowing you to make all future changes and/or upgrades....or add monitoring at a later date.

George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote