I was doing some minor electrical improvements in my home that was built in the 1960's. Ceiling fans, spotlights, etc. Then it dawned on me that maybe the wiring had asbestos insulation in it. It is 12-2 with black and white wires along with a bare ground wire. It also has brown paper covering the wires and a sheathing which I thought was fiberglass. Any way to tell if there's asbestos in there without sending it to a lab?
you don't take a deep breath. They only used asbestos wiring for special applications and high heat spaces. It was the actual wire insulation that was asbestos. The wire your talking about is blue i believe and has a cardboard wrapping around the conductors inside. No need to get the kids out of the house just yet.