Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

armored wire

i just did some demo in my house and realized that one of the circuits that goes from the basement, which is where the panel is, to the 2nd floor (so 2 floors difference) is all armored wire. i was gonna redesign the circuit as i am remodeling everything else and was wondering if the fact that it travels vertically across more than one floor is what requires a use of armored wire or does that not have to be the case. naturally, i would prefer to use regular romex but wanted to make sure.

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

armored wire

It may be code in your area to use armored cable. You'll have to check with your local officials.

teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
Question

armored wire

My wife and I are remodeling a 1920 house. We had a similiar situation. Our wire did not rise up two stories but we had misc. Setups. Knob and tubing. Romex. Armored clad. The armored clad was running through the joist while cables like romex were used in the same situation. It could of been what was avaliable at the time or maybe the guy had extra laying around. But like teamo said certain locations in the us do not allow NMSC(romex) in residential construction. Call a electrician trade school or your building department. Or a electrician in the yellow pages to see if romex is allowed. Should be a 5 sec conversation. I can narrow one state down for you. WA allows romex.
daltinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daltinator For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

armored wire

I will say most of the resdentail area are used with romex cable without much issue however there are some local area may not allow romex cable at all which it mean it have to be in conduit or Amoured cable or Metal clad cable depending on what your local inspector say for your building.

During your demo'ed time after you get the wall open up there is one instering twist here once the wall is open then you have to bring it up to the latest code edition it will varies a bit depending on what state and local codes they are using.

And it will be a wise idea to leave a spare conduit for in future you may need to add for extra cable or data cable etc etc.

Merci,
Marc
amakarevic (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,032
Question

armored wire

i wonder what the difference between MC LITE and BX/AC90 armored types are. i saw the two types in HD, they looked the same from the outside but i guess the latter is graded more rugged. i wonder if MC LITE will do for what i need.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

armored wire

Bx wire does not have an isolated ground. There is a ground wire that needs to be wrapped around the metal jacket prior to being put into a box or connector. Also, it is made of steel so its a heavier jacket. Mc has an isolated ground wire and is made of alluminum.
heartlessmcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

armored wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartlessmcfly View Post
Bx wire does not have an isolated ground. There is a ground wire that needs to be wrapped around the metal jacket prior to being put into a box or connector. Also, it is made of steel so its a heavier jacket. Mc has an isolated ground wire and is made of alluminum.
For the MC not always be alum at all there are couple with steel verison as well.

Howerver to OP the BX you have to becarefull with fitting do not use the wrong one and not hook them up loose there is a proper BX fitting to use them and with BX you will need antishorting bushing somecase it will call red devil { some area will say that } or cap one of the two and of course the big box store shoudl have them on stock for a Euros or so in a bag of 10.

MC cables you will still use the BX/MC fitting to use them but you will not have to use the antishorting bushing { some local codes may require it so check it out } and NM connector can be used but that for last resort.

Also if you plan to do a bit of cutting the BX or MC get the rotozip which they are designed to cut the BX or MC without damage the conductors they are about 30 to 40 Euros but it worth it to save alot of the time

Merci,
Marc