DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Armored cable/bx needed for pot lights?

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dblade 
#1 ·
hi there!

I'm redoing a room in my basement and have ripped out the drywall ceiling. I'm installing 6 non-IC potlights (home depot Commercial Electric HBR107H)

As I'm not sure what's on the existing lighting circuit (the former owner has done some odd things here) I'm putting in a new 15A breaker and 3 single pole switches (2 pots per switch) to give myself the level of control on them.

I've run 14/2 romex from power to switch box and from switch box to pots. While starting to do the connections I noticed on the junction box for the cans it mentions flex.

i haven't been able to find anywhere that says I need to use flex with these rather than romex, but wanted to confirm before I finish the install and get an electrician in to do the final check. Some advice would be appreciated!

(Notes: the room is a total of 12' x 8' so far more light than i'll need under normal circumstances, hence the 3 sets of lights. I've used the suspension bars to hang the cans between the studs, least 2-3" between the cans and any wires OTHER than the ones servicing the cans. about a 1" gap between the top of the junction box and the ceiling above. No insulation in the ceiling. I've used the standard electrical "staples" to hold the romex to the sides of the studs and when all is done will be drywalling the ceiling again)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.