Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #1

Share |
Question

arkfaults,

my 15 amp arkfault keeps tripping, this is the one for my bedroom receptacles. it doesnt matter what circuit i put a load on, it keeps tripping.I had a ground fault on the same line as i do in all the bed rooms and a arkfault on each one too. i removed the gfi and replaced it with a regular recpt. but nothing i do will stop it from tripping. i checked all the conections and all are tight, can i have a bad new arkfault? this is driving me nuts, thanks

deewkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:21 AM   #2

arkfaults,

Just to be sure that we are taking about the same thing, the word "circuit" means everything (wires and devices) on one breaker.

Are you talking about a fault on more than one circuit, or just more than one recepticle?

Two possibilities come to mind immediately. First you can have a bad new arc fault. I once had four in a row from one brand. The guy at the supply house told me that they had a bad batch. Second the breaker may be doing its job. A staple or connector could be pinching the wire somewhere.

Did this problem begin before or after you replaced the GFCI?

The best thing to try would be to move this circuit temporarily to another arch fault breaker that is working. Then see if the problem persists. Remember that both the hot and neutral of the arc fault circuit must be run through the arc fault breaker.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #3

arkfaults,

everthing is new, if i use a power drill in the bath room it trips the arkfault in the bed room, each room is seprate, with a arkfault in the panel and
ground fault on each new run for every room in the house.the same arkfault trips and its all seperate from every other room, i will try to swap the ark fault with a nother bedroom.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #4

arkfaults,

be sure that the arc fault breaker is wired correctly.

It should have a pig tail that connects to the neutral buss in the panel. the neutral from this circuit should not connect to the neutral buss, but to the arc fault breaker. Last the hot from the circuit should also connect to the same breaker as the neutral from the same circuit.

It sounds like you have it wired wrong.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #5

arkfaults,

it has worked correctly for 4 months, its not the only 15 amp arkfault that is in the box, each bed room, lights and recs, are wired seperatly. i know its wired right ,pig tail on bus white and black on ark and ground on grd. it very easy to read the directions on switch. it is hard to find out is why would a tool or a light on a seperate line would trip this arkfault.lets say i use a saw in the bathroom, this is a gfi line, seperate from the bedroom, sometimes the arkfault will trip on this bedroom line .
Old 05-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Master Electrician

arkfaults,

So you are saying that the circuit you are using the saw on doesn't trip, but another circuit trips (the one with the arc fault). If so, I would lean towards this being a bad breaker.

"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #7

arkfaults,

thanks johnj0906. today the arkfault wouldnt trip. every thing i did wouldnt trip it. i turned everything on all lights, table saw, air compressor, but no trip.