Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Area Light


How would I terminate the UF cable and connect it to the area light. Would I just duct seal the top conduit and run the UF directly into the light, leaving the UF exposed for a few inches, with a weatherproof strain relief on the knockout of the light or is there another way? The light is pole/wall mount, so it does not use a junction box.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Area Light-image-3055281486.jpg  

joey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,557
Rewards Points: 2,010
Default

Area Light


If the light has a knockout, then it is intended to have the conduit enter the knockout. Why not do that? Otherwise use a mini weatherhead at the top of the conduit and run the UF cable through that and into the light, with a proper strain relief and drip loop.

I don't think it's legal to install a receptacle and light fixture on a tree. I seem to recall that trees can only be used for a couple things, under limited circumstances, and this isn't one of them. But if you insist, be sure to account for the growth of the tree when you position everything. Nonmetallic flex conduit in a few areas may be helpful.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
joey59 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Member
 
Julius793's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New york
Posts: 1,053
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Area Light


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If the light has a knockout, then it is intended to have the conduit enter the knockout. Why not do that? Otherwise use a mini weatherhead at the top of the conduit and run the UF cable through that and into the light, with a proper strain relief and drip loop.

I don't think it's legal to install a receptacle and light fixture on a tree. I seem to recall that trees can only be used for a couple things, under limited circumstances, and this isn't one of them. But if you insist, be sure to account for the growth of the tree when you position everything. Nonmetallic flex conduit in a few areas may be helpful.
I wouldn't bother with a weather head unless you want to make it look nice, because if if is rated for burial a little rain won't hurt it. But of course you must use an outdoor connector to the fixture. In addition I believe his install is fine, what you're thinking of is trees is not permitted to support an overhead span of conductors.
__________________
Electricity will kill you if you give it a chance
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julius793 For This Useful Post:
joey59 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Resi EC
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 479
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Area Light


Looks good Joey. when you get this completed take a couple pictures and post them. One during the day to show your set up, one at night to show the illumination.
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
joey59 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Area Light


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post

I don't think it's legal to install a receptacle and light fixture on a tree. I seem to recall that trees can only be used for a couple things, under limited circumstances, and this isn't one of them.
Actually it is perfectly legal to mount lights and boxes on trees.

The NEC rules of prohibition on wiring methods using trees are similar to this example:

225.26 Vegetation as Support. Vegetation such as trees
shall not be used for support of overhead conductor spans.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
joey59 (09-21-2012), mpoulton (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,557
Rewards Points: 2,010
Default

Area Light


The reason for a weatherhead would be to prevent water from coming down the pipe into the receptacle box. The conductors would be fine, but the receptacle would not appreciate the water.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
Code05 (09-21-2012), joey59 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Area Light


Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius793 View Post
I wouldn't bother with a weather head unless you want to make it look nice, because if if is rated for burial a little rain won't hurt it. But of course you must use an outdoor connector to the fixture. In addition I believe his install is fine, what you're thinking of is trees is not permitted to support an overhead span of conductors.
I am thinking of using a watertight UF strain relief on the fixture (of course), and the top conduit with a female thread. This way, no water has chance of entering the box below. Or would duct seal be fine? Is it code, or preference? I know that the UF can be exposed between conduit and light, as long as it's above 8ft. Although, using common sense since it is outside with animals, I like to protect it as much as possible. Therefore, the UF would only be exposed for a few inches between conduit and luminaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac66610 View Post
Looks good Joey. when you get this completed take a couple pictures and post them. One during the day to show your set up, one at night to show the illumination.
Thanks! It may be a long wait. I won't be doing this till next spring. Why do a rush job if it's not an emergency? I usually pre-plan and prepare for projects way in advance, this way, the project gets done quickly, properly, and smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Actually it is perfectly legal to mount lights and boxes on trees.

The NEC rules of prohibition on wiring methods using trees are similar to this example:

225.26 Vegetation as Support. Vegetation such as trees
shall not be used for support of overhead conductor spans.
+1!


Last edited by joey59; 09-21-2012 at 01:49 PM.
joey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light fan burn out, wall switch backwards later LOYD DUNCAN Electrical 1 09-18-2012 06:49 AM
Wiring a Shed light & internal power DJDesq Electrical 4 08-12-2012 08:12 PM
Advice for new patio area Mike2181 Landscaping & Lawn Care 2 07-19-2010 08:48 PM
Marmoleum repairs muggyfrost Flooring 8 10-16-2008 08:19 PM
Pilot light button on furnace won't turn whydonchathen HVAC 5 10-05-2008 11:03 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.