Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Electrician

Share |

Arc Flash

Any of the lincensed guys have to go to Arc Flash training for their company? Why dont they make home owners that want to do their own electricial work get trained, I mean I know that it's an OSHA thing but the least trained are the most likely to get hurt.

ctsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #2

Arc Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsmiths View Post
Why dont they make home owners that want to do their own electricial work get trained

but the least trained are the most likely to get hurt.
assuming they are exposed to the risk to the same degree professionals are. . .
No tombstones? No regulations!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&f...earch&aq=f&oq=

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Electrician

Arc Flash

True, but I say its better to be proactive than reactive when it comes to this stuff, if you open you panel without training you are exposed to the same risks we are but you have a better chance of getting hurt.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
DIY

Arc Flash

How about some education then... What would a home owner such as myself be more likely to do than you, to cause an arc flash in my panel?
gp_wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

Arc Flash

Politicians don't care unless this hazard presents a risk to their staying in office, like by making the headlines or having some famous person get zapped.

I never heard of arc-flash until Mike Holt's bunch of guys talked about it.
With 1300 people per year in the U.S. dying from electrical hazards, this is down in the noise. Nuclear radiation leaks, food poisoning, airline safety, etc., are also down in the noise.

It's a sorry state of affairs.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Electrician

Arc Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_wa View Post
How about some education then... What would a home owner such as myself be more likely to do than you, to cause an arc flash in my panel?
Check out this site, http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/cms/c...Arc-Flash.html
It happens when you least expect it, even to veteran electricians.
I guess I should say why dont they make education available to home owners to insure safe practices.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #7

Arc Flash

"approximately 350 persons killed in the work place"

It seems out of 1300 people/year (from CPSC data) killed from electricity, 350 were in the trade and ~170 were killed due to arc flash.

This is only 3x more people than were hit by lightning each year, so your odds are not bad. Smoking kills 1000/day.

What do you recommend, Ctsmiths, for the first level of arc flash protection for resi. work? This equip. doesn't seem to be in my Grainger catalog. You have a link?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Electrician

Arc Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
What do you recommend, Ctsmiths, for the first level of arc flash protection for resi. work? This equip. doesn't seem to be in my Grainger catalog. You have a link?
Level one is All Cotton Clothing or natural fiber, with safety glasses. http://www.70estore.com/ This is level 2 and up clothing, carhart makes some great stuff that is like REAL clothing and not a jumpsuit. Stuff is not cheap, and you only really need it if your doing panel work even if the main is off, because the trip rating on the trans circut protection on the street is not low enough. Level 2 is all you'll ever need at home unless you have 480 at your house for some reason.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #9

Arc Flash

Quote:
Level one is All Cotton Clothing or natural fiber, with safety glasses. http://www.70estore.com/ This is level 2 and up clothing, carhart makes some great stuff that is like REAL clothing and not a jumpsuit. Stuff is not cheap, and you only really need it if your doing panel work even if the main is off, because the trip rating on the trans circut protection on the street is not low enough. Level 2 is all you'll ever need at home unless you have 480 at your house for some reason.
Thanks.
No polyester cause it melts onto your skin?

Speaking of safety, I've climbed many ladders to trim many tree branches and only this year I spent $140 to strap myself in. It's about time.
You even come near an emer. room and it's at least $140, not to mention the injuries that change your life.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
Electrician

Arc Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Thanks.
No polyester cause it melts onto your skin?
Exactly, they showed us some video on what happens, not too pretty!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #11

Arc Flash

Quote:
Why dont they make home owners that want to do their own electricial work get trained,
Simplest answer is that to some degree it's still a free country following the principle wherein individuals are responsible for the consequences of their own behavior and the law doesn't interfere unless someone else is directly affected. That principle seems to be changing rapidly however as more and more people expect the government to protect them from themselves and their own irresponsible behaviors and the government increasingly is willing to assume that role.

On the other hand the OSHA rules are there for employers to follow so that employees are protected since it is assumed that the employee may not have a free choice in the methodologies the employer forces them to use.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
Electrician

Arc Flash

Quote:
I guess I should say why dont they make education available to home owners to insure safe practices.
I understand what your saying, but the training should be available to people that want to keep themselves safe.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
Master General ReEngineer

Arc Flash

Ayuh,....

This appears to Me to just be Another Nanny Government Bull$h!t thing....

Somebody just Created a New Name for something that happens, Extremely Rarely...
So,.. Now that it's got a New Name, let's build a massive government bureaucracy around a Precieved Danger...

Kinda reminds me of the Propane Valve Debacle a few years back,....
They took a Proven design of the tank valves,+ created a Lawyer Approved valve that has Way More Drawbacks than advantages.....
My guess is,...
Some Legislator had a Buddy in the gas valve Business,....
Outlawing All the valves in existence Surely created Alot of business for his Bud...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
Electrician

Arc Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,....

This appears to Me to just be Another Nanny Government Bull$h!t thing....

Somebody just Created a New Name for something that happens, Extremely Rarely...
So,.. Now that it's got a New Name, let's build a massive government bureaucracy around a Precieved Danger...

Kinda reminds me of the Propane Valve Debacle a few years back,....
They took a Proven design of the tank valves,+ created a Lawyer Approved valve that has Way More Drawbacks than advantages.....
My guess is,...
Some Legislator had a Buddy in the gas valve Business,....
Outlawing All the valves in existence Surely created Alot of business for his Bud...
I dont want to come off the wrong way, I agree that its rare and that they have a hidden agenda . You should see what they make me do at work. If I have to change batteries on a machine for the PLC memory backup, I have to have level 2 Arc flash on including a helmet and face shield and line gloves. Not the easiest thing to do. And all because the machine is live, and it only has 30A feeders although it is 480v ac 3 phase. But only 30A?!? All im saying is that if someone wants to be trained the government agency that requires the protection should offer training to those homeowners and Diy'ers that want it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Master General ReEngineer

Arc Flash

Quote:
All im saying is that if someone wants to be trained the government agency that requires the protection should offer training to those homeowners and Diy'ers that want it.
Ayuh,... That'll Kill the Hidden Agenda...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote