Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Share |

Arc Fault Tripping

Hello all, new to the board but hoping I might be able to get a little help solving an issue I am having. I recently re-wired my home, upgrading to a 200 amp service. When we re-wired the bed rooms We decided that the 2 bed rooms would have a single plug on its own Arc Fault breaker for running a 110 AC in each room. Now that Summer has gotten here we are having an issue when running the AC units at the same time. Each AC is on its own Arc Fault breaker but when I run both one of the two breakers will trip. We followed the wires for each plug to make sure it didn't have a screw in it or anything, they were fine. We tested the plugs they were fine. Checked both plug boxes to make sure that none of the wires in the plug box were making contact at any time. No other breakers in the house trip, not even the ones powering a much larger AC unit in the living room.

The breakers are lined up in the following order in the box on the side that keeps tripping.

40 amp 220v ( hot water tank )
20 amp Arc Fault ( 1st bed room )
20 amp Arc Fault ( 1st bed room AC )
20 amp Arc Fault ( 2nd bed room )
20 amp Arc Fault ( 2nd bed room AC )
20 amp Ground Fault ( Bathroom )
20 amp Single Pole ( laundry room )
20 amp Single Pole ( washer )

Would it be possible that the order in which the breakers are installed is causing this? Maybe both AC breakers on the same leg, and switching their location stop the tripping?

Thanks in advance for any help , its much appreciated.

Regards
J.W in Oklahoma

JLW74403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Arc Fault Tripping

Does the same breaker trip each time? Does it trip immediately or after the AC has been running awhile?

Old 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #3

Arc Fault Tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
Does the same breaker trip each time? Does it trip immediately or after the AC has been running awhile?
No its not the same breaker each time. We run 1st bedroom AC all the time and it has never tripped. But if we turn on the AC in 2nd bedroom the 1st bedroom breaker will trip or the 2nd bedroom AC breaker will trip but not instantly. It normally takes 10 - 15 minutes of running the 2nd bedroom AC for this to happen.

Not sure if this info will help any but the 1st bed room AC is 3000BTU 4.7 amp and the 2nd bed room AC is 5000btu 5.8 amp according to the plates on them.

Regards
J.W in Oklahoma
JLW74403 is offline   Reply With Quote