Arc Fault And Cost - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

arc fault and cost

I pulled up a summary of the Colorado electric code requirements. It is linked below

http://www.dora.state.co.us/Electric...nerPermits.pdf

In the "REQUIRED BRANCH CIRCUITS" paragraph down to subsection (f) it requires arc fault plugs almost everywhere and tamper resistant to boot. The companies that make these devices must have really lobbied hard to get this in the NEC.

How much is this going to add to the cost of a house? It seems the gov't is keeping our lives so safe, that it will get to a point that many americans will only be able to afford to live in a cardboard box under a bridge.

How did I ever make it to age 51 with ungrounded 2 pronged outlets?

These growing mandates push more and more people out of the
"affordability index" of buying a home. It may make it safer, but if you can't afford it, what difference does it make?

Advertisement

Last edited by n175h; 10-14-2009 at 08:30 PM.
n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

arc fault and cost

On a built to code, 2000 sf new house, the cost to the contractor will run 6/800 dollars.

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

arc fault and cost

Shuttered (tamper proof) receptacles are inconvenient to use. Sorry, but this is fact.

I can only imagine that home owners will be replacing these by the thousands with standard receptacles (the safety conscious will use non-shuttered AFCI receptacles) as this code becomes adopted.

What a waste.

Remember when car seatblelts had to be latched before the car would start? How long did that well intentioned law last? One, maybe two years? Car costs went up to pay for this added complexity, then went up again when the law was so short lived that the manufacturers could not recoup their investment during the law's short life.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

arc fault and cost

Square D QO single pole 20 amp breaker approx. $5.00

Square D QO single pole 20 amp AFCI breaker approx. $40.00

these are approx. costs as prices vary between suppliers and location

figure 10 circuits for a nice round number (IMO a high estimate for an average house) need AFCI protection

Standard breakers $5.00 x 10 = $50.00

AFCI breakers $40.00 x 10 = $400.00

An increase of $350.00 dollars for AFCI breakers.

It amazes me that people will spend $200,000.00 on a house, $1,500.00 for the big screen TV, $30,000.00 for kitchen cabinets, but an extra $350.00 for breakers that are safer and more likely to prevent losing everything they own (or the life of a family member) and they complain.

I don't know about you, but my family members lives are worth more to me than $350.00.

This kinda reminds me of the people that spend $8000.00 on a brand new hot tub, but when I tell 'em it'll cost $350.00 to wire it I'm too expensive.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

arc fault and cost

Quote:
I don't know about you, but my family members lives are worth more to me than $350.00
You are assuming that the AFCI's will protect your family. I haven't made up my mind yet.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

arc fault and cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Shuttered (tamper proof) receptacles are inconvenient to use. Sorry, but this is fact.

I can only imagine that home owners will be replacing these by the thousands with standard receptacles (the safety conscious will use non-shuttered AFCI receptacles) as this code becomes adopted.
Is there an AFCI receptacle being made yet?
And since NEC 2008 requires TP the AFCI outlet would have to be TP, just as the GFCI's are now required to be TP

I'm not 100% sold on AFCI
Just like when GFCI's 1st came out they are still working out the bugs
If I'm using tools (or anyone) that trip the AFCI, how fast do you think they will pull them out?
If they false trip people will not use them......
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

arc fault and cost

This must not be all that popular. I've discussed this issue with 3 different licensed electricians since January, and all 3 think it is a waste of money.
n175h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

arc fault and cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by n175h View Post
This must not be all that popular. I've discussed this issue with 3 different licensed electricians since January, and all 3 think it is a waste of money.
Kinda but I know in State of Wisconsin push the AFCI reqirement back to 2010 { but it may delay again if I heard about it }

How well they function ? IMO it kinda mixed bag so some will say it work fine and some are just outright merde*.

I know couple of members here are Electrician by trade I don't know if they will comment on that part or not it up to them.

Merci,Marc

( * it is a french cussing word you just goggle it you will see what I mean }

Advertisement

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote