Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

ARC Fault breaker tripping

Hello....i found this forum via a google search and I can't quite find an answer to my question through searching the internet so I thought I would post it here...

I have a ARC Fault Breaker that seems to trip every few days (seems like 4 or 5 days) The breaker seems to be connected to my master a few outlets in my master bedroom, the ceiling fan in the master bedroom 1 recessed light in the master bedroom and the smoke alarms in the house. This tripping seems to have been going on for a little over a month and I have never had a problem prior to this....the house was built in 2002. I searched and found that things like lamps...phone charges etc can trip an arc breaker....we only have 1 lamp that is plugged into an outlet that runs on that breaker....I just today unplugged the lamp to see if the breaker will eventually trip. If it still does what could be the problem....is it possible that the ARC breaker is bad? Thanks

zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd turn off the main breaker and tighten the connections in the panel to start with. It could be as simple as that. But with it doing it every few days there could be any number of reasons.

DM

Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevo
Hello....i found this forum via a google search and I can't quite find an answer to my question through searching the internet so I thought I would post it here...

I have a ARC Fault Breaker that seems to trip every few days (seems like 4 or 5 days) The breaker seems to be connected to my master a few outlets in my master bedroom, the ceiling fan in the master bedroom 1 recessed light in the master bedroom and the smoke alarms in the house. This tripping seems to have been going on for a little over a month and I have never had a problem prior to this....the house was built in 2002. I searched and found that things like lamps...phone charges etc can trip an arc breaker....we only have 1 lamp that is plugged into an outlet that runs on that breaker....I just today unplugged the lamp to see if the breaker will eventually trip. If it still does what could be the problem....is it possible that the ARC breaker is bad? Thanks
I would run a new circuit for the smoke alarms
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Busy DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B.

I would run a new circuit for the smoke alarms
What's the reasoning for a new circuit for smoke alarms?
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight

What's the reasoning for a new circuit for smoke alarms?
Not sure if its code, but its deff something that I would do. Reason being, if there is a fault or overload and the breaker trips, at least the fire alarms will still be on.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #6

There has to be a simple reason for this....never had a problem before....but i haven't a clue...hence why i am here. Im thinking it could possibly be a faulty arc breaker....
Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

That's possible. Those things are expensive though, I'd check all other possibilities first.

DM
Old 09-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Not sure if its code, but its deff something that I would do. Reason being, if there is a fault or overload and the breaker trips, at least the fire alarms will still be on.
Where I am, the code specifically prohibits this -- a dedicated circuit for smoke/co alarms. They must be on a general lighting / receptacle circuit, so that if the breaker trips it becomes immediately obvious.
CuHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuHead
Where I am, the code specifically prohibits this -- a dedicated circuit for smoke/co alarms. They must be on a general lighting / receptacle circuit, so that if the breaker trips it becomes immediately obvious.
Wow that makes since. I never looked at it that way.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #10

To the OP, you need to check each device--receptacle, switch, fan, smoke alarm, and any splices. Inspect each to make sure connections are tight and no obvious problems. The breaker is expensive so that would be a last resort, to replace without knowing if its actually bad. If you have other AFCI breakers in your panel you could swap a known good one to the circuit to see if the problem is in fact the breaker.
CuHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #11

i really don't know anything about electrical...what am I looking at cost wise to have an electrician come in and check things out?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

If you are running the vacuum every 4 to 5 days, that can be a possibility. Even though you may plug the vac into another circuit with a afci, it could be that rhis one is more sensitive. Is this circuit part of a MWBC (multi-wire branch circuit)? Also, when thid home was built, were the afci's original, when they designed the home and electrical circuits for it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you are running the vacuum every 4 to 5 days, that can be a possibility. Even though you may plug the vac into another circuit with a afci, it could be that rhis one is more sensitive. Is this circuit part of a MWBC (multi-wire branch circuit)? Also, when thid home was built, were the afci's original, when they designed the home and electrical circuits for it.
yes....everything original....it tripped last night while we were sleeping so i would rule out the vacuum theory.... I don't know the answer to the MWBC question,