Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #1

Share |

Apartment wiring up to code??

My air conditioner kept tripping the breaker today. Maintenance came out and we went through all the wiring. The problem happened to be the wiring had melted 3 inches inside the outer wall before the disconnect. My question is the wiring in the wall is only 14 gauge does this meet code in Texas? I dont have the specifics of the air conditioner but size wise my apartment is 829sq feet. The AC unit is 220v on 2 pole 20amp breaker. The length from the box to the outside wall is 40 to 50 feet
Coming out of the wall to the ac unit the wiring changes to 12 or 10 gauge. I know it would be much better had they used a heavier gauge wire but Im most interested if it is up to code because if not I will make they re-run the wire

I am afraid my apartment will burn down please advise. Thank you for your help!
Camden

camden2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Apartment wiring up to code??

Quote:
Originally Posted by camden2200 View Post
My air conditioner kept tripping the breaker today. Maintenance came out and we went through all the wiring.
Was the maintenance guy is qualifed to work on the electrical system normally this should be done by qualifed electrician to do the electrical system.

Quote:
The problem happened to be the wiring had melted 3 inches inside the outer wall before the disconnect. My question is the wiring in the wall is only 14 gauge does this meet code in Texas? I dont have the specifics of the air conditioner but size wise my apartment is 829sq feet. The AC unit is 220v on 2 pole 20amp breaker. The length from the box to the outside wall is 40 to 50 feet
Coming out of the wall to the ac unit the wiring changes to 12 or 10 gauge.
If that circuit have 14 gauge conductor then it must use 15 amp breaker but there is some leeway with A/C hard wired units the code is very specfic on this on and it well written in Art 440 but the key issue is the name plate info
What I always look for is Max OCPD and running or min amps that how I sized the conductor and OCPD's and nice gotcha if the nameplate stated fuses only then you have no choice but use fused disconnection switch.

Quote:
I know it would be much better had they used a heavier gauge wire but Im most interested if it is up to code because if not I will make they re-run the wire

I am afraid my apartment will burn down please advise. Thank you for your help!
Camden
As I mention above this situation it best have a electrician come in and deal with the electricial system and talk to the Landlord first before you get a hold of electricican to come out and myself I never really trust the maintanice guy some are really not qualifed to work on electrical system so that something you will have to addressed to your landlord with this one.

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac unit, wiring