Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

anything that can't be buried with electrical?

I'll be burying some heavy electrical wire to run a fuse panel up by the pool. I was also thinking I might run gas, water, phone, and whatever else I think of at the same time since the ditch will already be dug. I realize the water will have to be drained each year.

I assume the water will be ok, but is it ok to run gas with the electrical?

would I get lots of noise on a phone line buried next to power lines?

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
I'll be burrying some heavy electrical wire to run a fuse pannel up by the pool. I was also thinking I might run gas, water, phone, and whatever else I think of at the same time since the ditch will already be dug. I realize the water will have to be drained each year.

I assume the water will be ok, but is it ok to run gas with the electrical?

would I get lots of noise on a phone line burried next to power lines?
I don't know if you are aware there are some restriction on the code related to the pool system.

For now let answer the basic question here .,,

Do you have above ground or in ground pool?

The electrical conduit it will be buried at least 18 inches due I know you are in UP Michigan so you may want to push it down further to at least 24 inches.

For the water pipes IMO it should be at least 32 inches down trust moi on this one I know how deep the frost will go in due I have a home in Northeast Wisconsin so it will be not much diffince on depth on water pipe.

For gaz pipe it should be about the same depth as electrique conduits however keep it over to one side of trench and get a yellow plastique warning marker { I will expain a little bit } and phone it can be at least 18 inch deep but keep it about 12 inches away from power conduit to keep the noize down.

You will need subpanel for this set up and plan to run in 4 conductor set up { the code is very strict on this one } and make sure you run green grounding conductor not the bare in the conduit this is very important part.

Yeah you will need GFCI breakers for both pool pump plus the lights { just about everything it will need to be on GFCI and btw if you have 240 volt pump motor unforetally it will have to be on GFCI per MEC { Michiagan Electrical code} I know Nap { our member in here } he live in Michigan so he should able chime in with the state reguations.

Nap ., Did I miss anything in here ?

If any other question let us know.

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Actually, I think the frost line is quite a bit deeper than 32". A map I found said its about 50" here. I'll be finding out for sure on another project, but for here, it is irrelivent. The waterpipe would be ending in a nonheated area, so It would have to drained anyway. luckily the ground level at the pool is higher than at the house, so draining should be easy.

The water pump is 120, and currently on a GFCI. I was planning on reusing all the current circuty and just wire it in here and abandon the already burried 120 line from the house. I need more power to run a heat pump, and was planing on just hooking it in straight to the fuse box. I assume that would bypass the need for a GFCI? if not, I have never seen a high power GFCI outlet. I know GFCIs in general don't like high power motors, because I didn't need one for a garbage disposal. Part of me is a bit surprized that the GFCI hasn't given me problems with the water pump.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote