Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Anyone real familiar with Halo IC 6" Remodel housing?

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have installed over 30 cans in my house, 4", 6", new construction and remodel, IC and Non-IC, but not seen this before.

I purchased two HALO IC REMODEL housings from Home Depot, model H7RICT, which btw had the largest inventory @ Home Depot so must be a fairly common item. These are being installed in a second story closet in an insulated ceiling (attic above). I also purchased model # 300P IC Trim. Links to each item are below.

What I am concerned about are the installation instructions as far as I can interperate them (I'd like to think I am interpreting them accurately, I have built an addition on my house and done down to the stud kitchen remodel that all passed inspections without any issues doing all the electrical myself)

But the trim kit instructions require you to remove the factory installed round plate and "L" bracket from the socket, and connect the socket to the bracket in the trim kit. Maybe I am reading into this to much, but it would seem that round plate is intented to reflect bulb heat down away from top of can and removing it increases the risk of fire. There is 8"
of batt insulation stacked on top of these cans.

Is anyone on here familiar enough with this installation to confirm this is correct?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-6-in...RICT/100070753

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-6-in...300P/100163401

zr800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
Master Electrician

You can not use an open bulb trim in a closet. A glass enclosed trim should be used for a closet along with a lower wattage lamp, usually 40 watts max. However, that is the correct installation method for the 300P trim.

Last edited by brric; 01-14-2014 at 09:41 AM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 4

This is a perfect application for an led bulb. A 10w led is going to put out 10w of heat....but give you 75-100 watts of equivalent light.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the confirmation the installation was done correctly in regards to the trim kit. I probably will use LED bulbs. I do in much of the kitchen and addition I did. Spent $500 on light bulbs that day.
zr800 is offline   Reply With Quote