DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Anyone heard of COMMERCIAL ELECTRIC tools? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/anyone-heard-commercial-electric-tools-8668/)

VITAL 05-24-2007 10:37 AM

Anyone heard of COMMERCIAL ELECTRIC tools?
 
I'm doing electrical jobs for a few years now and all my hand tools are KLEIN (which cost a lot). Yesterday i was in Home Depot and noticed they are stocking up with this brand called COMMERCIAL ELECTRIC. They are cheaper than KLEIN but are they any good?

They all have handles very similar to KLEIN's JOURNEYMAN tools but green color. I did some research online but no stores sell it and there's no reviews of it. Couldn't even find it in Home Depot online store :wink:

I'm not going to give up my KLEIN but reason i'm asking about CE is because HD sells this set of CE which consists of a bag (pretty good looking gatta say) and buuuuuuuuunch of tools - a set of screwdrivers (including insulated ones), 4 nutdrivers, pliers, noseneedles, cable cutters........... for DIRT CHEAP - 59$ which is a looooot cheaper then getting same tools separate. Would be nice to have it as my "just in case" set.

HouseHelper 05-24-2007 01:32 PM

Commercial Electric is Home Depot's brand. Look in the lighting section and you will see CE recessed lights, surface fixtures, and ceiling fans. If the tools are of the same quality as the fixtures, and I suspect they are, they are crap and should be avoided.

jwhite 05-24-2007 09:28 PM

Once you feel klien in your hands, cheeper tools will not even be an issue.

Speedy Petey 05-24-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HouseHelper (Post 46135)
If the tools are of the same quality as the fixtures, and I suspect they are, they are crap and should be avoided.

This is the exact statement I was going to make.

bigMikeB 05-31-2007 07:01 PM

never heard of them
 
I saw the same set of tools at the depot the other day and was thinking it looked too good to pass up, the color and style look a lot like Greenlee which just started turning out electrical hand tools
If they are made of decent steel how bad can they be for the price?

VITAL 06-10-2007 01:38 AM

Well, once again i passed by this set in HD and finally gave in. lol.

first big turn off is that on one side of each tool (exept screw & nut drivers) it just says CHINA. I wish they had THAT side facing u when u buy the damn product :censored: !!!

Metal looks like it's not gonna last long when u put it to work everyday.

And as i found out yesterday handles aren't gonna last long either. I took a square tip screwdriver with me to work to test it out since i had to install a new panel, so i knew i'll use it all day. Well, after just one day's work green part of a handle started to come off of the black part. :no:

So to sum it up - KEEP USING YOUR KLEINs!

It's still a good set to have as "just in case" / "2nd set" or for house use just not for everyday abuse.

btw any feedback on GREENLEE hand tools?

Speedy Petey 06-10-2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITAL (Post 48468)
btw any feedback on GREENLEE hand tools?

Top of the Line! Although there are a few others at the top as well.

JohnJ0906 06-10-2007 08:05 AM

I don't have too much Greenlee, but what I have is top notch.
Klien - great

My experience is, buy quality tools. This is not an area to scrimp.

mikemy6 06-10-2007 09:11 AM

I purchased my Kliens as pieces, 2 flat screwdrivers, 3 phillips, and 4 nut drivers 1/4 to 7/16. I also added a screw starter later when I had a job that reqired one. As electrical work is one job I do that can kill me I had no thoughts of the cost, which was not that bad.
Mine have an orange coating that turns white when its time to destroy and replace them. the size/type is on the butt end so they can be read if kept in the side pockets of my bag instead of inside getting banged up. And none have become maagnetic something I hadn't thought about, hence the screw starter.
Less then 200 bucks for 10 tools that wont let me down or get me hurt or killed sounds like a good deal to me.

Tankless Man 06-10-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Less then 200 bucks for 10 tools that wont let me down or get me hurt or killed sounds like a good deal to me.
LOL....LOL....it's not the tool that kills you, it's the guy holding them. Owning Kliens do not make you a better electrician, they tell others you do not like buying the same tools over and over, and you take pride in your work, therefor you buy the best. That and once I was working on a job where the EC sent one of his guys home because he came to work with all his made in China crap tools. Higher quality tools last longer, and work better. You can still kill yourself with or without Kliens.....

Plumber man 11-06-2007 04:40 PM

Ive been searching for this tool set and cannot find it anywhere
 
I would have bought one of these if i had found out about them sooner


Quote:

Originally Posted by VITAL (Post 48467)
Well, once again i passed by this set in HD and finally gave in. lol.

first big turn off is that on one side of each tool (exept screw & nut drivers) it just says CHINA. I wish they had THAT side facing u when u buy the damn product :censored: !!!

Metal looks like it's not gonna last long when u put it to work everyday.

And as i found out yesterday handles aren't gonna last long either. I took a square tip screwdriver with me to work to test it out since i had to install a new panel, so i knew i'll use it all day. Well, after just one day's work green part of a handle started to come off of the black part. :no:

So to sum it up - KEEP USING YOUR KLEINs!

It's still a good set to have as "just in case" / "2nd set" or for house use just not for everyday abuse.


GeryFajardo 04-01-2008 09:05 PM

I used klein ever since and if someone's gonna pay me to use other products. I'll surely gonna give it back to them. :)









__________________
“An intellect rivaled only by garden tools”
Electrician FAQ - Commercial Electrician Tools

goose134 04-01-2008 09:20 PM

The most expensive tool you buy is the one you keep replacing.

Buy quality once.

wire_twister 04-01-2008 09:36 PM

you get what you pay for

Speedy Petey 04-02-2008 06:08 AM

Never a borrower or a lender be.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved