DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Anyone have a sample materials price list for 4br ranch home a re-wire job?

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  steve1234 
#1 ·

Anyone have a sample materials price list for 4br 1story ranch home a re-wire job? (or a new construction).

Like how much wire?
250' 12/2 and 250' of 14/2 ? 500' ?

outlet price
15a *20 * 18cents ea?

Blue boxes
1gang, 25c / 2gang 99c
etc.?

I know every job is diffrent..
Anyone willing to post what they did on there last job, or install, would be appreciated..

Wanted to see about how much aprox the materials list would be for my home to rewire.. (no, i wont do it myself, i'll hire someone) :)
Its a 1story, 4br ranch home
bedrooms aprox 12x12 each, living room 12x15.
only 1 electric range in the kitchen

See less See more
#2 ·
I really hate these kinds of questions. #1 You don't provide nearly enough info for any pro to even begin to tell you how much "materials" would be. #2 As a contractor, it's not just; price - materials = profit. #3 Where do you live? Material and labor costs will be much higher in some areas (Long Island, NY vs. Podunk), than in others. #4 Most pros probably won't feel comfortable giving you the materials price anyway. (It's like going into a restaurant and asking how much they paid for the steak you're about to eat.)The best advice I can give you is to get a few estimates from local contractors and ask for references. Pick the one that you feel the most comfortable with (price and attitude-wise). Good luck with your project. pete

#3 ·
Electricians usually will not work by labor and materials seperately. They prefer to provide the materials, which they usualy get at a savings over the retail cost (that you will pay). Additionally, they are not too keen to wait around for you, while you run out and get more wiring, or other materials, because you ran out of it....

Just as a GC doesn't expect an electrician to work with the GC providing the electrical materials, I wouldn't suggest that you attempt to go that route, as a home owner, either.

That's my 2 cents.

#4 ·
Wanted to see about how much aprox the materials list would be for my home to rewire.. (no, i wont do it myself, i'll hire someone) :)
If you are going to hire someone then why does this matter.
Just get a few quotes and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

#5 ·
Agreed, tough question, but here are some comments.

We have a 2400 sq ft house, and we re-built 1900 sq ft of it. The rebuild included a complete re-wire which I did. Before starting I listed out all the outlets and switches, and then grouped them by circuit. This was an easy way to make sure I had all the switches where I needed them. This will also give you a list of outlets, switches, fixtures, and circuits. I way underestimated the ammount of wire....a 250' roll sounds like a lot until you start pulling. If you are hiring it out I would say the material cost is not the major contributor.

For what it's worth:
Outlets / switches: $100 will get you more standard switches/outlets than you could imagine. Big cost adders for Cal title 24 switches (auto off switches, dimmers). Also cost adder for GFI outlets.
Circuits: depending on the brand...approx $15 / breaker....more for AFI's & GFI.
Fixutures: whoa baby...i think i mail ordered my recessed fixtures for about $1200, but this was for title 24 fixtures (IC, Airtight, with some Fluorecents and some low voltage). This was different than the non-IC fixtures you can price out at the big box stores.
Wire: Don't recall, but it was probably 8 x 250' rolls of 12/2 with a couple 12/3's thrown in. I didn't think it would be nearly that much. At a HD price of about $68 (12/2) it adds up. I used the existing wire for the bigger stuff (dryer, range). Depends a lot on the layout. Kitchens take a bunch of homeruns. If you run off a subpanel, you can cut down on the length of those runs.

When I started I thought I would be able to nail down a detailed material list. I found that very difficult. It was easy to get the first 60%, but then it was many trips to the store to re-load the wire reel and get the stuff as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.