Anyone Had To Change A Glass Fuse Box Over To A Circuit Breaker Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

anyone had to change a glass fuse box over to a circuit breaker box?

anyone had to change a 100 amp glass fuse box over to a circuit breaker box? Was it hard? Cost?

Why would i want a 200 amp? Will a 100 amp be good enough?

We are not huge electricity pigs, but we have the normal stuff plugged in. 2 LCD tvs, 2 computers, fridge, microwave, stove, dryer, washer, 2 stereos. Besides that it is pretty light stuff, toaster, magic bullet, so on.

The electrician is coming today. Is there any other important questions i should be asking him?

thanks!

g

Advertisement

octapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

What he should be doing is figuring out what your power needs are now and in the future.
Are there plans on adding a garage or shed, a pool, hot tub, electric stove instead of a gas one, an addition, finishing an attic or basement, a generator. This is some of the things he needs to know.
He should also be taking a look at your incoming power from the pole to see if it needs to be up graded.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Sure, myself and some others here have done a few of these

Most older residential today have 100amp service. You'll probably be ok staying at 100.
The cost shouldnt be too bad if all you need is a panel swap.

200amps is becoming more popular as our electronic demand rises, however the cost goes up quite a bit.
If it were my home i would opt for the 200 upgrade, since everything is gonna be pulled apart anyway.

Im sure theelectrician will point you in the right direction. As Joecaption mentions, you should consider future needs.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 526

I was looking more at resale when I upgraded from 100 to 200 service. It is not just the price difference in boxes. I believe a larger wire needs to be strung from poco's source.

My motto is overbuild. I have never kicked myself for overbuilding something, but have for underbuilding.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by octapuss View Post
anyone had to change a 100 amp glass fuse box over to a circuit breaker box? Was it hard? Cost?

Yes. No it is not hard for me, but I know how to do this. Quite a bit of learning to do if you don't know anything about these things. All sorts of rules to follow, etc.

So far as 200 amp, electric vehicles are on the way. Maybe you or a potential future owner might have one or more of these cars. Good idea to get 200 amps. Not much more expensive if upgrading anyway.

Also don't get a breaker panel with *just* enough slots for the circuits you have now. Get a panel with PLENTY of extra slots. Not much more money, but a LOT to have to replace it later.

And you may want to consider a "whole house surge protector". This protects all those electronic gizmos. Note refrigerators, washers, dryers, and ranges tend to have electronics in them these days too.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #6

I just bought the house, so it is my first week in the place. Lots of interesting stuff.

For example, my dryer is hooked up to my gas line. It is heated with gas instead of electricity. Should i be added to the panel? Does that put me over 100 amps.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 802

I'm with the Beepster. Upgrade as much as can afford,new service complete,and when you apply to this Pogo guy, they'll guide the installer through it.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Why would you change it out? Besides the possible problem of finding replacement fuses, "upgrading" to a breaker box really does not do anything except provide convenience of a switch to reset.

100A? 200? The NEC has a whole list of items to consider for a house when calculating what size is needed. Minimum is 100A. Your electrician should do a load calculation to determine what size is needed.

Your electrician should also be aware of local ordinances which determines what your local officials expect when a panel upgrade is done. There could be a number of things you or I don't think are really necessary, but the ordinances may require it.

My personal opinion is go 200A min with a sub panel and a 2nd sub panel in the garage. That way you have plenty of breaker spaces and the do it yourself type is happy with plenty of power for the garage
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Master Electrician

A 100a service is much more than adequate for a standard house with electric oven, dryer and ac. Unless you plan in putting in some serious extras I'd say your ok.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the input good people.

I am going to ask the electrician this today, but i thought i would ask here as well.

If there are a few different rooms, switches, and appliances attached to one fuse, can he spread it out to different breakers on the new panel.

For example: One of my fuses runs the outlet for the fridge, the living room light, the upstairs bedroom lights and outlets, and my AC unit!

It seems like a lot. Can he separate those on to different breakers with the new panel? Hard to do?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
"So I Re-Wired It"

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
For example, my dryer is hooked up to my gas line. It is heated with gas instead of electricity. Should i be added to the panel? Does that put me over 100 amps.
if the gas dryer has a plug on it, this will not impact on your service.
The electricity it uses is for timers and such. it will not use much electricity.

an electric dryer however would use a 220 30amp breaker, which would need to be considered when upgrading.

Quote:
can he spread it out to different breakers on the new panel
If i were doing the job, i would most certainly separate any circuits that were readily accessable by the breaker panel.
Obviously any connections made between outlets would be more labor intensive to separate.
it all depends on how things were ran.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:

I have done this pretty often in both Americian and European verison.

How hard? Well it depending on the type of the building and how easy to get into.

The cost that something I can not control in here due there is pretty wide margin of pricing going on so if you want a electrician to do replace the fuse to breaker panel you may want to have couple estames to see what the ball park range it will be running.

It nice to have 200 amp service if you plan to add some pretty hevey stuff like spa or pretty well decked out garage avce alot of power tools or plan to expand the house size in future ( just be aware with meter socket location when you do plan to do the expandison in future it can affect it)

We are not huge electricity pigs, but we have the normal stuff plugged in. 2 LCD tvs, 2 computers, fridge, microwave, stove, dryer, washer, 2 stereos. Besides that it is pretty light stuff, toaster, magic bullet, so on.

The electrician is coming today. Is there any other important questions i should be asking him?

thanks!

g
My answer in bleu.

There may have a local codes it may add along the way the electrician will know this answer for sure.

I know you mention if the Electrician can spread out the number of circuit well again it depending on how it set up some can be very easy to deal without making a mess and some you will see some mess all it depending on the electrician call what the code will be using so it will varies a bit.

Merci,
Marc
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
...If there are a few different rooms, switches, and appliances attached to one fuse, can he spread it out to different breakers on the new panel.

For example: One of my fuses runs the outlet for the fridge, the living room light, the upstairs bedroom lights and outlets, and my AC unit!
This depends on the construction of your house. If it is a one level house with an accessible basement / crawl space and attic, and wood construction walls, then relatively easy to split existing lines or run new lines.

In all cases the easiest thing to do is run new circuits to just a couple of power hogs like the refrigerator and A/C. Then that takes them off of that one circuit.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 25

I did this (switched from fusebox to circuit breaker) and it wasn't too bad. I had a friend help that had some electrical experience but really all I did was buy a large box (as mentioned with several more slots than I have circuits now) and a bunch of breakers (at whatever amp ratings you currently have).

I was glad I bought a larger box because I found several examples in my fusebox where there were multiple wires hooked up to a single fuse! So prepare for that sort of stuff. I also took the opportunity to run some new wire and grant dedicated circuits to some major appliances that were previously on circuits with other things. So I ended up adding about 5 breakers total.

I ended up keeping the 100amp service I already had because the supply line and everything else up the line checked out okay (had an electrician check that out).

Have a good organizing system in-mind too. Label everything as you take it apart so you can put it all back together. Also have your voltage tester handy to make sure everything is turned off and there is no cross-wiring.

So IME simply swapping out the fusebox for a circuit breaker isn't hard as long as you're careful and you have a good understanding of basic electrical. You may need to solve a few issues that crop up, but without being there I can't say what those may/may not be. Have a smart phone or 3/4G tablet handy so you can look stuff up as needed while the power is out. Renting a good electrical book from the library before starting may be a good idea too.

If you are doing more than what I did I can't comment...

Advertisement

Last edited by ajmckay; 08-30-2012 at 01:56 PM.
ajmckay is offline   Reply With Quote