DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Anyone ever heard of a meter on the high voltage side?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  viper 
#1 ·
Probably a bit off the wall question. We have a large rural property where we are looking to put a house all the way at the back of the property which is around 1000 ft in. I do NOT want power poles in the yard. I realize I can run underground conduit but to get any reasonable service, the wire price will be ridiculous for 240V and 1000ft run.

Has anyone heard of running a high voltage meter and providing the customer only with high voltage and I can set an isolation transformer at the service site for distribution? Technically, they would then not be paying for that transformer so I could see this from both sides of the fence. I am going to guess the safety aspect will overrule this but thought I would check.

#3 ·
Do you think a guy could at least get a 480/1ph rezzy service without much problem or is that still out in left lane? I kind of figured the high voltage gear that the PC or county would require would be pricey. I have run high voltage wire before and it ain't cheap! Might be over thinking it but I could need 1000 of 4/0. that is going to hurt!

#5 ·
LOL, well, it ain't much. the tail end of a single 1ph service that spans for 1.5 miles. Not sure how many volts they have up there but I am a bit worried that I will be the LUCKY guy at the end of the run with crap service. Good news is there will be more power there eventually.

#7 ·
Around here this is how it is done. 1000-1500' of primary is not at all uncommon.

No way in hell the POCO would provide you with ONLY primary voltage, AND actually turn it on. :whistling2:

They have very strict rules and guidelines as to how they want their installations done. They will NOT turn a service on unless it is done right.

#8 ·
Let me try to explain a bit further to get some additional thoughts. we will be building 2 houses plus an out building but at different times. All will be set back quite a ways over an 80 acre plot. the power now comes up to the edge of the property. I already know from experience that this POCO will be difficult to deal with. Desperate to AVOID having primary poles running the front of the property but realizing they will probably continue the juice past this plot some day. REALLY either want it to jump across the road or allow us to set a large conduit for them across the plot so they can go under ground.

Because of POCO rules and local codes, we will probably install a temporary home (mobile) just so the shed can be built. Code requires a residence before and sheds and POCO will run a FREE service for a house but charges every last dime for any out buildings. My thought was to place the mobile on the far side so they are forced to run power across the plot, then get a service for a shed.

The distances will be high and I am more than willing to run large spans of conduit for them. Guess I am expecting a war and trying to get a feasible plan in my head before hand.

#9 · (Edited)
LetPOCO will run a FREE service for a house but charges every last dime for any out buildings.
The free service would be using the power company's standards, which may be restricted to overhead lines on poles.

Discuss with the POCO the possibilities and also the trenching and conduit requirements for an underground primary run to a transformer location near where the buildings will be constructed. Single phase primary is typically around 7500 volts give or take, and conduit has different construction standards compared with building wiring.

You may be able to get an industrial grade (480 volt) service for lower voltage drop with the meter and main disconnect out at the street. Then do it yourself from that point in. Except that you will need a quite hefty tranformer of your own on property to obtain 120/240 volts.

Being at the tail end of the primary is usually not a problem if there aren't many homes out there. The transformer can be set to deliver the correct secondary (120/240, or 480) volts. Problems arise when there are many homes and the voltage fluctuates with demand because of a too-thin primary. Upping the primary voltage (say to around 22,000 3 phase or around 13,000 single phase) is sometimes done to forestall the need to install a fatter primary line.

#10 ·
I will admit that I am just trying to figure out what makes the most economical sense here. Just talked with the POCO and though they were much easier to talk with today, the rates are this:

3000 for a transformer/meter set
1800 for a junction
1200 per pole
10/ft for wire

I pay for the whole thing but own nothing...

I think he quoted the rate for just pulling the wire into my conduit. He did recommend setting a common transformer between house and building to cut costs. I am now just trying to juggle what direction is best.

I have never run a 480/1ph and not sure if typical 240V loads are fine with the ph-N load there. As well, I am not sure what the losses look like through an isolation transformer. If I stick with 480V, I could cut back their run by quite a bit but would have to eat the price to run the transformer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.