Any Way To Test A Transformer? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 536

Any way to test a transformer?

Hi, People,

I have this type of surface mount transformer for a living rm monorail 12v lighting:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDgQ8wIwAg#

The lights filcker, or go on/off at say, 2-3 sec intervals, then finally quit/go dark entirely. Thing is, this thing is only a few yrs old AND it isnt even in our home, but in a second home we hardly visit. Gets maybe a dozen uses a year. Darn things are expensive. Still, I dont mind paying except if for some reason it is NOT the transformer.

Any way to test one of these?

Thanks!

Advertisement

noquacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

it would be difficult for a layman to differentiate between a bad transformer or this (from the link provided)

Quote:
auto-reset short circuit protection
if the protection was malfunctioning.

the fact they claim it to be an electronic transformer, I doubt there is much you can actually check.

since both are an integral part of the unit, replacing one would replace the other.

I would make sure that when the lights do go out completely you still have power to the transformer.

the other thing I would do is remove all of the lights from the rail to see if you are not causing your own short circuit by an improper installation or damaged parts. Maybe remove one light at a time to see if you have any difference in operation or reinstall one light at a time.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

OK, nap. (sory for delay in my relpy). I will try your tip on lighting and go from there. Man, these tansformers are pricey.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
it would be difficult for a layman to differentiate between a bad transformer or this (from the link provided)

if the protection was malfunctioning.

the fact they claim it to be an electronic transformer, I doubt there is much you can actually check.

since both are an integral part of the unit, replacing one would replace the other.

I would make sure that when the lights do go out completely you still have power to the transformer.

the other thing I would do is remove all of the lights from the rail to see if you are not causing your own short circuit by an improper installation or damaged parts. Maybe remove one light at a time to see if you have any difference in operation or reinstall one light at a time.
Oh, but considering that they worked for years, although, not every day, wouldnt that eliminate the possibility of the "short circuit by an improper installation"? I mean, for a few years, they worked fine. Yes, we dont go there every day/week, but when we went there, all was well. Thanks, nap!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
Oh, but considering that they worked for years, although, not every day, wouldnt that eliminate the possibility of the "short circuit by an improper installation"? I mean, for a few years, they worked fine. Yes, we dont go there every day/week, but when we went there, all was well. Thanks, nap!
yes, that should remove that possibility unless some piece of insulation aged and broke for some reason. Unlikely but a possibility.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #6

OK....thanks, nap! Its looking more like I gotta buy a new one...gees.......

Advertisement