Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Any reason I shouldn't add to this circuit?

I need to add some outlets in my basement, new house and the 1 (!!) outlet the builder supplies in the basement just ain't cutting it on the other side of a 50 foot house where the tablesaw etc. is located. There is a lonely looking recepticle mounted right next to there panel, 20 amp GFCI outlet supplied by a 12 guage wire. It's the only item on that circuit which seems like such a waste

Any reason I shouldn't feed another 12/2 into the box and run it over to the other side of the house to make use of it?

Mdbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

no reason at all go for it mdbuilder !!

GREGNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #3

Excellent, done

Maybe I can retire the 50 foot long extension cord I've been using
Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,004

This question should be asked "Is this basement a wet location" defined by the NEC. Even though you have a GFCI and I hope you plan to attach your new circuit extension to the load side of this GFCI, is NM cable allowed in wet loctions? No. You made no mention of how you were to make this run?
If the installer used conduit for the basement recepts, you should do the same.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Usually the plug at the panel is the first one installed so contractors can loose the generators and start working off regular power without having to get other parts of the house going...sometimes they use the fridge circuit as well for construction. I recall years ago a code that required a single outlet by the panel that was on it's on curcuit and nothing else attached to it, I don't know if it is still code or not.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #6

It's a standard unfinished basement with perimeter drain + sump pump. I'd say that's not a wet location but that's my opinion.

I made the run the same way the other supplied GFCI circuit is run - NM cable stapled to the board nailed on the concrete wall up to the joist cavity then run within the joist cavity, stapled every 4 feet where run parallel, not stapled where running at right angles through holes in the joist. When I got where I was going I nailed a board to the wall from the rim area down to where the receptacle was mounted. Staple at the top, staple a foot above the box, metal single box (with ground screw) and a 20 amp receptacle. Plastic bushing / cable clamp when passing through the knock out. Yes, I tapped off the load side of the GFCI receptacle. Also labeled the new box "GFCI" and used the screw terminals rather than backstabbing which seems to be the standard in this house .
Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Excellent job. Whether or not the basement is "wet" or not is irrevelant. In an unfinished basement, for power tools and stuff, the 120V recp. has to be GFCI protected. NEC 210.8 (A)(5).

Good job Mr. builder,

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #8

Thanks Andy
Old 12-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,004

Andy, are you saying that NM is suitable for wet locations? It also must not be subjected to physical damage.
Since I had no idea of the posters intentions, I just wanted to open some communication on the subject.
Now that the poster has described how he installed the cable I feel like he did a safe job too.
I have seen many homeowners use conduit straps, bent over nails and other inappropriate straping of NM cable to concrete walls. That was my concern. ...Thanks John
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

I am an electrician and the code is very unclean on this subject it is really up to interpretation. nm is suitable and if you have a pump i would consider it a wet location or why else would you need the pump? i think the way you did it is fine but if it worries you i would use mc wich is protected by metal but it is a little expensive. if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask!
wiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,020

Location, Wet. Installations under ground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

There are not a lot of basements and crawl spaces that fit this description. Not unless they are in a flood plane.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Andy, are you saying that NM is suitable for wet locations? It also must not be subjected to physical damage.
Since I had no idea of the posters intentions, I just wanted to open some communication on the subject.
Now that the poster has described how he installed the cable I feel like he did a safe job too.
I have seen many homeowners use conduit straps, bent over nails and other inappropriate straping of NM cable to concrete walls. That was my concern. ...Thanks John
I guess my post wasn't as clear as it could be. I've never seen a "wet location" basement. Saw some "wet location" houses in Plaquemines Parrish and NOLA. The cool thing was the romex was jet black up to the flood highwater line, and it switched back to white. It was very uniform and looked like it was made that way. Some sort of funky mold, I guess.

Andy

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote