Anti-oxidant And Torque On Panels For Shop. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


I just pulled 150' of 4/0 aluminum triplex, and hooked it up to my panel. I followed all directions on the panel, using anti-oxidant.

Few questions:

1. Will I ever need to re-apply anti-oxidant? I scrubbed it in with a wire brush, and then added another thin layer. After that, I torqued the allen bolts to 23 ft-lbs (275 in-lbs). There is no disconnect, so I won't be able to get near it after the PUD is done.

2. I torqued the ground to 9 ft-lbs (110 in-lbs) and the screw stripped before my torque wrench stopped? I have to get another ground connector now. Not sure why that happened... Anyone had that happen before?

3. How much insulation should be stripped off the 4/0 and 2/0 (neutral) below the connector? I left about 1/4".

Panel is a Siemens g2040b1200cu. Pic attached.

Thanks,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.-connected.jpg  

Advertisement

Newbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,343
Rewards Points: 2,006
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


Are you sure the panel can be mounted with the MB on the bottom?

Advertisement

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Are you sure the panel can be mounted with the MB on the bottom?
I don't believe there is such a thing as an upside down panel anymore. Yes, this one has a horizontal MB.

Todd
Newbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,343
Rewards Points: 2,006
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


Yes, there are restrictions on whether you can mount a panel with the MB on the bottom, but I think this one is OK.

Next question, where does the other end of the triplex terminate? Is the triplex sleeved in PVC?
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
Next question, where does the other end of the triplex terminate?
It will be connected to a CT meter provided by the PUD (Clark PUD in Vancouver, WA). It goes straight to the pedestal behind my transformer, according to PUD instructions.

I have a small amount of 2" sched 80, and 130' of 3" sched 40. The sched 40 goes up to the pedestal. The trench/conduit has already passed inspection.

Todd

Last edited by Newbomb; 05-21-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Newbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,343
Rewards Points: 2,006
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


And you were specifically told to run triplex from the meter to the panel?

I'm asking because we would need a separate GEC from the meter to the panel.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 29
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
And you were specifically told to run triplex from the meter to the panel?
I asked about five times. Both to the PUD and the inspectors (L&I). They said b/c it was a secondary, and it was using a CT meter that no ground was needed. Still could not convince the guy at the electrical store. He was confused.

This is not a normal installation, apparently. They are removing the meter at the house, and metering both the shop and house at the transformer. The shop/house branch in a 'Y" from the xformer. House is 400 A, and shop is 200 A.

Cost me $500 to meter them together (PUD charge) but it is $12/month for another meter. There is no meter behind this panel.

Todd
Newbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,762
Rewards Points: 1,102
Default

Anti-oxidant and torque on panels for shop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb View Post
I just pulled 150' of 4/0 aluminum triplex, and hooked it up to my panel. I followed all directions on the panel, using anti-oxidant.

Few questions:

1. Will I ever need to re-apply anti-oxidant? I scrubbed it in with a wire brush, and then added another thin layer. After that, I torqued the allen bolts to 23 ft-lbs (275 in-lbs). There is no disconnect, so I won't be able to get near it after the PUD is done.

2. I torqued the ground to 9 ft-lbs (110 in-lbs) and the screw stripped before my torque wrench stopped? I have to get another ground connector now. Not sure why that happened... Anyone had that happen before?

3. How much insulation should be stripped off the 4/0 and 2/0 (neutral) below the connector? I left about 1/4".

Panel is a Siemens g2040b1200cu. Pic attached.

Thanks,

Todd
1. No
2. Torque to manufatcures specs. It happens.
3. Sounds fine.
4. Identify the grounded conductor.

What type of insulation does the triplex have?

Advertisement

__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts