Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #1

Share |

Anti-corrosive Paste

As recommended by many sources and required by our county inspectors, I used anti-corrosive paste on any location where aluminum wires were connected. This was primarily the Service Entry and the large cable going to my basement sub-panel off a 100 amp breaker.
In reading up on the paste, I noticed it said it "decreased resistance" in the connection. If this is true, wouldn't it be a good idea to use this in other locations, especially on the high amperage cables connected to 30 amp and higher breakers for stoves, HVAC, etc., even if the cables were copper? Is it a good idea, bad idea, worth the trouble?

Thanks,
Wally

WallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Anti-corrosive Paste

Not necessary on anything but AL conductors.

I will say, I do coat the threads of AL fittings such as meter pan lugs and the like. I have seen way too many AL threaded connectors siezed up and corroded. It also helps lubricate the threads.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 AM   #3

Anti-corrosive Paste

The paste wont hurt other connections, but is usually just a waste of time. I do like it on the threads of outdoor screw in light bulbs, and the threads of large "mogle base" bulbs, like the ones used in high bay lights.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #4

Anti-corrosive Paste

OK, thanks. I won't bother with what I was considering, but thanks for the additional suggestions where aluminum and exterior items are involved.
WallyB is offline   Reply With Quote