DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Another name for surface wiring/wire-mold? (

fw2007 01-09-2008 02:00 PM

Another name for surface wiring/wire-mold?
I'm interested in using "Surface Wiring" or Wire-Mold to add a receptacle in the kitchen.
I am looking at Home Depot and Lowes online, and cannot find anything.
Googling "surface wiring" gave me a how-to article on installing the system, and referred to it as both surface wiring and wire-mold, but yet I cannot find it at my DIY store.
Perhaps this is yet another product that is sold at the store, but not online?

What I would like to do is get another receptacle next to one that already exists, on it's own 20A line.
I would just run the cable through the basement, then up to the kitchen, but the wall on which I want to install the receptacle is not over the basement. It is the outside wall, which id over a crawl space into which I would rather not go. The current receptacle is fed from that crawl space, but It's pretty unpleasant to look into, let alone crawl into and do the work.

The surface wiring should suit this application well. I could bring the cable up from the basement and then run the surface wiring from that point to the new receptacle.
I suppose I would just use another receptacle box with the open back "extender" on the box from which to run the wire-mold. Since there will have to be a box at the point where the Romex goes into the THNN in the wire-mold, it would make sense to put a receptacle in that box as well.

My only concern about installing surface mount is how far the receptacle will protrude from the wall. But I suppose that is the price you pay for getting away with a much easier job!

Thanks for advice


concretemasonry 01-09-2008 02:14 PM

Just go to a HD and see what is looks like. It will make everything easier once you see the products (there are several) and the options on how to use them.

I used them in several locations where I had no choice and they work, but it is a bit pricey compared to traditional solutions.

There may be a way to run up inside your exterior wall, but I do not know your situation.

HouseHelper 01-09-2008 02:16 PM

Go to HD's website and search for "wiremold", then enter your zip code when it asks for your local store. If they carry it, it will show up (mine does). It is not sold by them online.

fw2007 01-09-2008 04:31 PM


Originally Posted by HouseHelper (Post 87011)
Go to HD's website and search for "wiremold", then enter your zip code when it asks for your local store. If they carry it, it will show up (mine does). It is not sold by them online.

Thanks. When I got no result from my original search, I failed to go any further.
Considering the cost between going traditional and surface, I am taking another look at my options.

After I re-checked the crawl space, it doesn't look so intimidating. What I'm thinking I might try is bringing up a 12/3 Romex and running the two duplexes off of a bonded 20A double breaker. The 12/3 should pull up through the same hole that the current BX is going through, so I shouldn't have trouble with the insulation that has been blown in under the floor.
Since it's Rock Wool insulation, there is a sheet of what looks like cardboard nailed to the floor joists to hold it there. I wouldn't want that stuff coming down on me.

If that doesn't work, I can always go with the surface wiring.
Still, there are other places in the house where surface wiring might be my only option.

Thanks for the info


Andy in ATL 01-09-2008 04:56 PM

FW, May I be blunt? :wink:

Put on a monkey suit, dust mask,safety glasses and some gloves and crawl your happy butt under the house. Beware the rats:laughing: . In six months you will have forgotten the pain of the crawlspace adventure, but an ugly as sin wiremold installation in a house lasts forever.:huh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.