Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

Share |

Another Electrical Rough In Question

Sorry for all the newbie questions lately:

I am building a sound proof room and trying to limit any penetrations through lights and outlets.

My outlets will be covered with fire putty pads to help but my concerns are with my lights. I am building my soffits AFTER my room is soundproofed with layers of sheetrock and I plan to put my lights in my soffits.

Obviously for the outlets I need to have my rough in inspection prior to sheetrock but what do I do with the wall lights? Can I run my wire and just have the junction box hanging from the ceiling to where the soffit will be?

There will be no load since they'll be on their own circuit.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

You should be fine, but for final inspection you will need to have the boxes up and fixtures up.

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #3

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

I had a thought that might work. Just install a part of a sheet of drywall where the soffit will go and build the framework for the soffit. This way the inspector can see the boxes where the fixtures will be and that the cables are secured.

There would be no additional drywall work as there is already an inside corner that would need to be finished where the soffit meets the wall and ceiling.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I had a thought that might work. Just install a part of a sheet of drywall where the soffit will go and build the framework for the soffit. This way the inspector can see the boxes where the fixtures will be and that the cables are secured.

There would be no additional drywall work as there is already an inside corner that would need to be finished where the soffit meets the wall and ceiling.
I thought of that but then I would be blocking the fireblocking that I am doing and the construction official won't be pleased with that.

Tough pickle I am in but I am going to go with K Buz's recommendation.