Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

another ceiling fan question

I am trying to find out the appropriate wiring option for a ceiling fan and light in my daughter's room. Currently the fan/light gets power from source and works off the pull chains. The switch is connected to a power outlet along one wall. (Don't ask me why anyone would do this since all the other fans are connected to the light switches in the other 3 bedrooms.)

I'd like to connect the fan to the light switch, which isn't really the issue. I'll just pick whichever source and wire appropriately, but I have no idea what to do about the outlet if I disconnect it from the switch. (I'd rather not have the outlet tied to the switch.)

Any suggestions on the best way to rewire all of this so that I have an outlet tied to a source and the switch tied to the fan/light? Preferably with the least amount of rerunning of wire and tearing out of the drywall.

I have easy access to the fan from the attic so running the wire isn't difficult if it's necessary.

frankp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 16

Remove the switch and tell us what wires are there.
It can be as easy a removing the 2 wires from the switch and twisting them together and installing a wire nut.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Frank,

so what you are saying is that you have power all the time to your ceiling fixture and the switch on the wall controls an outlet...

As JBFan says, pull the switch out and tell what you find. it seems unlikely that there is not a wire from the switch box to the ceiling fixture.

likely what is happening is that the power comes into the switch box and is passed through to the ceiling fixture and that the outlet was converted to be switched maybe for a bed lamp or something.

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

thanks for the heads up, folks. I'm going to buzz out the wiring tonight and hopefully it will be as simple as that.
frankp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #5

if you do have to pull in a wire from the switch box to the ceiling fixture, pull a 3wire (14/3) then you can control the fan and light separately by a dual switch if you like.

rod
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote