DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Amending Bedroom Circuits for Recessed Lighting

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Hello All. I have a scenario that I am hoping you can help me with.

My wife and I are purchasing our first home and I would like to make some changes to the wiring.

Here is the current situation and my plan ... please let me know what I got wrong or what I need to consider. Thank you.

• Currently, the bedroom has one light fixture at the center of the room which is controlled by a switch.
  • I would like to tap into this wiring [via attic] to install four recessed lights [to be controlled by the existing switch].
  • I will then install a ceiling fan in the original, central junction box. As I do not want the fan on the same switched circuit as the new lights ... I am wondering if I can power the fan by extending the circuit from the last wall outlet of the series.
I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction or if I should call in a pro. I don't have electrical experience but am confident with hand and power tools.

Please let me know if you need any clarification and thank you in advance for your response.

- blake

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to know where the original feed comes in. Many times they'll run the feed to the light first and if this is the case with your scenario and you don't want the fan on a switch then you just got lucky. All you would have to do is tap into the feed before it goes to the switch with your fan and then run your lights off the switched leg in the box. You would have to manually turn the fan on and off with the pull string in this case though. Need more info to accurately help you.
Do you want the fan on a seperate switch?
Where does the feed go first? to the light or to the switch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.