Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #61
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Share |
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
According to him, we have to follow the order of the electrodes in the NEC
Sort of. He is referring to this:

III. Grounding Electrode System and Grounding
Electrode Conductor
250.50 Grounding Electrode System. All grounding electrodes
as described in 250.52(A)(1) through (A)(7) that are
present at each building or structure served shall be bonded
together to form the grounding electrode system. Where
none of these grounding electrodes exist, one or more of
the grounding electrodes specified in 250.52(A)(4) through
(A)(8) shall be installed and used.



Last edited by Code05; 09-15-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #62
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05

Yes I know Tom Henry's material. I am a Mike Holt guy, but Tom is just as good.

You need to get this book when you can. It is an excellent addition to either guys material.

http://www.amazon.com/Soares-Book-Gr.../dp/1890659576
I like mike holt also. I bought the understanding of the NEC. I love that book.
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #63
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05

Concrete Encased Electrode. Slang name is UFER. 250.52(A)(3)

Good, now you are asking questions instead of giving half answers. You can learn much more this way.

Since you are in the trade, we are willing to help you learn:

Buy we expect you to use correct terminology, explain your answers, have your code book handy to look up references/sections and have a positive attitude.

Now go back and answer my first question. EGC and GEC? Explain with specific NEC sections.
GEC: The conductor used to connect the grounding electrode(s) to the EGC, to the grounded conductor, or to both, at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at the source of a separately derived system.
EGC: The conductor used to connect the non-current carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other enclosures to the system grounded conductor, the grounding electrode conductor, or both, at the service equipment or at the source of a separately derived system.
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #64
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B.

GEC: The conductor used to connect the grounding electrode(s) to the EGC, to the grounded conductor, or to both, at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at the source of a separately derived system.
EGC: The conductor used to connect the non-current carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other enclosures to the system grounded conductor, the grounding electrode conductor, or both, at the service equipment or at the source of a separately derived system.
Article 100
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #65
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
GEC: The conductor used to connect the grounding electrode(s) to the EGC, to the grounded conductor, or to both, at the service, at each building or structure where supplied by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s), or at the source of a separately derived system.
EGC: The conductor used to connect the non-current carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other enclosures to the system grounded conductor, the grounding electrode conductor, or both, at the service equipment or at the source of a separately derived system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Article 100
Geez, Sunny: Article 100 definitions, I am impressed.....NOT.

If you do not want to learn, just say so and I will not bother you: but do not reply to me with half hearted, 1st year, no nothing answers.

We are talking about grounding and bonding, let's go to Article 250.

Apply your definitions to 250.4 and explain. What is grounding and what is bonding? Differences?

Now that you know what a GEC and an EGC is, tell me their purpose.
What do they do?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #66
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05

Geez, Sunny: Article 100 definitions, I am impressed.....NOT.

If you do not want to learn, just say so and I will not bother you: but do not reply to me with half hearted, 1st year, no nothing answers.

We are talking about grounding and bonding, let's go to Article 250.

Apply your definitions to 250.4 and explain. What is grounding and what is bonding? Differences?

Now that you know what a GEC and an EGC is, tell me their purpose.
What do they do?
I must admit, that was very lame to go to article 100, and it was the easy way out "laughing". But you asked for the difference in the 2 conductors so I went to 100. But ok, understood.
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #67
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,408
Default

Amateur question


While the Article 100 definitions are the official ones that need to be used, IMO it would be beneficial for you to paraphrase a definition to show your understanding of the term.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #68
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 218
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
While the Article 100 definitions are the official ones that need to be used, IMO it would be beneficial for you to paraphrase a definition to show your understanding of the term.
Well that's what I thought Code05 wanted, so that's what I gave at first. But he want me to quote straight from the code. I think it's a great practice
Sunny B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #69
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

Amateur question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny B. View Post
Well that's what I thought Code05 wanted, so that's what I gave at first. But he want me to quote straight from the code. I think it's a great practice
You can paraphrase or you can pull them from 250.4.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #70
Not a Noob or Boob
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 109
Default

Amateur question


I have to say Sunny, you are handling this very well and with a very mature attitude. I would say at least give him a gold star for the Code.

Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 Phase meter socket question a320200 Electrical 4 12-11-2009 12:45 AM
An unasked question is the only dumb question jackie treehorn Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 1 09-20-2009 08:24 PM
Amateur Question lda130 HVAC 11 04-17-2009 07:24 AM
A question about water preassure. reasonforseason Plumbing 5 04-14-2009 04:36 PM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 08:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.