Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Share |

Am I creating an unwanted "loop"

I've sent a 12-2 line from breaker box as a line dedicated to my office equipment (computer and peripherals and a couple desk lamps); the line will go to two outlets, the second one extended from the first. I did not plan properly though as the wall is very shallow and the single, shallow style box for one outlet will not fit the caps and wire for the extention to other outlet. I had run the extention for the 2nd box behind the wall before I installed the wall and the extention was cut and is lost in the wall so now it's easiest to remedy this by putting a junction box in the basement and running two lines, one for each outlet. It's less than 15 feet of wire from the junction box and the junction box is about 12 feet from the main breaker box so it's not a long run.

THIS IS MY QUESTION: Am I causing some kind of not desired electrical loop and noise or feedback maker by plugging computer and equipment into the two outlets that branch and thus make a circle or circuit from the junction box up and around through the computer equipment?

Thanks
DiegoJames in Allentown, PA

Last edited by DiegoJames; 09-25-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: sloppy writing grammar
DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #2

Most of the time this does not cause any problem.

If you do run into an interference problem usually that is because the ground wires were not firmly connected at each box along the way. Just twisgint them is not considered adequate, a wire nut or crimp ring is needed.

If you do run into an interference problem you can usually remedy it after the fact by interconnecting the various pi4eced of equipment with a bare 14 gauge wire connected to the chassis of each piece.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-25-2010 at 02:28 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

Thanks. This afternoon at home depot I discovered the plastic single shallow outlet box with the extra space section that goes behind the wall. After hearing your response ("most of the time" it does not cause an interference problem) I've decided to avoid the loop and will use this clever extra behind-the-wall sized shallow outlet box to achieve the extension from outlet to outlet in the small space. Thanks AllanJ.
DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote