Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,016

Aluminum Wiring for Range

Part 2 of an earlier thread:
New range comes tomorrow. 40 amp 220v circuit needed. Existing range on a 50 amp breaker was hard wired with aluminum stranded wire that terminated at the range with lugs that had a set screw for the wire and a ring terminal for the stove.
Anti-oxidant had been applied and there didn't appear to be any overheating of terminals or insulation.
My question:
1. Should I reuse the lug system from before or install a new Co-AL outlet and then a traditional plug from stove to outlet?
I'm a bit leery about the anti-oxidant application.
2. Not sure if I should reuse the same spot of the cable or cut off and start fresh? Some sites say with stranded you have to separate the strands, apply anti-oxidant, then use a wire brush to remove oxide layer, reapply anti-oxidant and retwist strands back together. Others say no wire brush and to use 240 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper.
3. Also, how tight is tight? I understand you shouldn't over-tighten set screws.
Any advice appreciated.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

the terminal you are connecting to must be rated for aluminum wiring to even consider attaching it.

after that, there is no legal or required method to apply anti-oxidant. In fact, there is no requirement to even use it. If you have a stiff stainless steel brush, use that to clean the aluminum and then apply the anti-oxidant and just work it into the strands as best you can. I do not suggest separating the strands. You usually cannot get them back together as tightly as the manufacturer did so they may not fit in the terminal you have.They also will lose contact with each other and they should contact each other.

how tight? there should be a torque recommendation on the terminal. If not, don't kill the wire. Tighten it, wiggle the wire, tighten a bit more, wiggle the wire, tighten quite snug and you are done.

If you put a recep in the box, just make sure it is rated for aluminum wire.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

If you have room for a receptacle put one in. It is just a more convenient way to attach the unit. As far as the anti oxidant, I use a small stainless steel brush and after smearing it on, I use the brush in line with the stands and work it in without any spreading of the strands.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,016

Thank you both; any idea where I can get a stainless steel wire brush?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote