Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |

Aluminum wire and bonding

I'm in the middle of changing receptacles and pig-tailing switches. Half of my house is copper, the other half is aluminum. I'm putting co/alr receptacles in and using Ideal connectors (approved) for the pigtailing. My question is in the receptacle box the neutral is connected to the bonding screw in the box. Do I need bonding wires to the receptacle also? On the copper ones I am but do the aluminum ones need it?

IMO, the neutral it should be ok because the receptacle is connected to the box already and my tester shows that the plug is grounded.

The majority of the wires are #14 3-wire aluminum on a 15 amp circuit.

I also live in Ontario Canada and would like to do it right before I get too far ahead of myself.

Ironically, the reason I'm changing them out was my plugs were overheating... on the copper circuits with the push in connections.

limbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Union Electrician

If you are saying that all of the outlets with aluminum wire have the neutral conductor bonded to the box, then this is wrong. The only thing that should be bonded to the box is the ground. The only place the ground is bonded to the neutral is at the service.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Union Electrician

I should add that if you are using plastic boxes, bonding to the box is a waste of time anyway. In this case DO NOT bond the neutral to the ground wire, see post above.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #4

OOPs let me clarify, the GROUND wire is connected to the metal box. White and black wires are connected to the receptacle. Do I need a bond wire from the ground screw on the receptacle to the box/ground also?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #5

yes.......and the AL wire is probably #12
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #6

Ok, next question: if I do bond the ground wires together would it be better to use aluminum wire with aluminum marrettes or copper wires with copper to aluminum marrettes?

I already have the special marrettes and copper wire to ground with.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

For what it is worth Canada only recognizes one permanent repair method that I am aware of...... and that is the CopAlum Crimp.......see below images. All other wirenut or marrette repairs are to be emergency or for temporary fixes. If you notice the red crimp connector is for copper to aluminum and the blue is al to al. Ideal purples are prone to failure over time and last I heard Ideal is no longer going to supply them to the consumer very shortly after the first quarter of this new year. I show you a photo of them in a failure condition at the last of this post. In the Usa 14 gauge aluminum cannot be in service and must be replaced. I'm not sure how Canada treats that issue. I'm not trying to discourage your intentions only to make you aware of some issues with the repair you are using. Many electricians will say it is fine to use the twist on connectors but I do not believe that Canada will allow them for a permanent fix.

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #8

If the Al conductor is nicked during the stripping process it will eventually break, no matter how the good the connection is. A bic lighter works for me to strip Al.
Longtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #9

Thanks guys, do you know why those marrettes fail like that?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #10

Going by the ESA website this rule page comes up

http://www.esasafe.com/pdf/Flash_Not...7-04-01-FL.pdf

One of the exceptions to the rule is that "The second exception is the outlet box bonding screw, which does not require approval for connection of the aluminum bonding conductor."

Could someone clarify this for me? Does it mean the outlet box screw doesn't need the co/alr marking or does it mean the receptacle does not need to be bonded to the box?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
UAW SKILLED TRADES

I read it to mean that it does not need to be listed or marked cu/al or al/al same rule exists in the USA. You still must bond the receptacle or switch metal yoke (green screw) to the metal box.

It does look like Ontario will allow your twist on connectors.

Stubbie

Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote