Aluminum - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
zap
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Aluminum


We recently "inhereted" some property which has mostly aluminum wiring.

The wiring was recently "upgraded" (Ideal Purple #65's at every connection) to fix issues with the Aluminum and I was just looking for some wise feedback to a few issues:

1) There is some debat over the reliability of the purple 65's on the Internet, and about 7 or 8 years ago the CPSC indicated these should not be considered a permanent fix but only a temporary solution. Any comments?

2) In the boxes I have looked at so far, where there is Al/Al connection it is simply twiested together and covered with electical tape. Is this acceptable?

3) None of the grounds are pigtailed, but I believe Al ground wire OK on plugs and switches, correct?

4) Not all of the switches are grounded (ground wire not connected to terminal on switch), and I have heard different opinions on this, should they be?

5) In the breaker box there is a neutral bus, but no ground bus, instead, all of the Al grounds are terminated into a single ground nut, and where copper has been added it is grounded in the neutral bus. I think there should be a ground bus, and I don't think we should ground anything in the neutral bus, am I just being too cautious?

Thanks for any insights.

Advertisement

zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 682
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Aluminum


Quote:
We recently "inhereted" some property which has mostly aluminum wiring.

The wiring was recently "upgraded" (Ideal Purple #65's at every connection) to fix issues with the Aluminum and I was just looking for some wise feedback to a few issues:
Just lite the match and walk away. Quit wasting your time being too cheep to fix the house up right

Quote:
1) There is some debat over the reliability of the purple 65's on the Internet, and about 7 or 8 years ago the CPSC indicated these should not be considered a permanent fix but only a temporary solution. Any comments?
See commet number 1

Quote:
2) In the boxes I have looked at so far, where there is Al/Al connection it is simply twiested together and covered with electical tape. Is this acceptable?
Not at all. Even the chincy aluminum wire nuts are better than no wire nut at all.

Quote:
3) None of the grounds are pigtailed, but I believe Al ground wire OK on plugs and switches, correct?
I do not know of any mfg still making aluminum devices. If the devices are rated for CU/AL That rating applies to all the terminals on the device

Quote:
4) Not all of the switches are grounded (ground wire not connected to terminal on switch), and I have heard different opinions on this, should they be?
If the boxes are metal and grounded, then in some cases the box can carry the ground to the device via the device mounting screw. Best to just pig tail to all devices and be safe.

Quote:
5) In the breaker box there is a neutral bus, but no ground bus, instead, all of the Al grounds are terminated into a single ground nut, and where copper has been added it is grounded in the neutral bus. I think there should be a ground bus, and I don't think we should ground anything in the neutral bus, am I just being too cautious?
If this is the main panel for the house then the grounds and neutals should be on the same bar, or if on two bars, they should be bonded together effectively makeing them one bar.

Advertisement

__________________
Master Electrician
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oak Park, Illinois
Posts: 751
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Aluminum


Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
1) There is some debat over the reliability of the purple 65's on the Internet, and about 7 or 8 years ago the CPSC indicated these should not be considered a permanent fix but only a temporary solution. Any comments?
I read about this extensively some time ago when I was considering buying a house that I knew had some AL wiring. What you should really consider is having Copalum splices installed. They are expensive and require a special crimper to install but they are the accepted means of safely splicing aluminum and copper conductors together.
__________________
Well, now, there's what's right and what's right and never the twain shall meet.
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shredding Aluminum Cans bobo General DIY Discussions 36 11-10-2009 03:32 PM
Aluminum Door sill and Concrete Dragon Building & Construction 2 01-06-2007 01:55 PM
Coil Aluminum murray11 General DIY Discussions 2 06-17-2006 01:42 AM
Siding: Aluminum vs. Vinyl Grumpy Remodeling 1 03-19-2005 01:55 PM
Siding: Aluminum vs. Vinyl Grumpy Remodeling 0 04-18-2004 04:35 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts