Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Alumiconn Wire Connectors

I'm planning to upgrade some of the bathroom light fixtures and vents in my MIL's house in the near future. I recently scoped out the place and found out that the house has aluminum wiring. Since I'm not comfortable with just attaching new light fixtures to aluminum wiring, I decided to upgrade the electrical system in the two bathrooms that I'll be working on. I've done some research and reviewed some threads and it looks like the Alumiconn connections are the way to go. Each bathroom has a dedicated breaker which controls a vanity light, vent, wall outlet, and electric wall heater. I'll be removing the wall heater and replacing the vent with one that has a nightlight and heater in it. My plan is to install these Alumiconn connections in the attic just before the line enters the bathroom and replace all the downstream wiring with copper. And that brings me to the questions I have about the installation:
  1. Will I need to use an Alumiconn connection for joining the copper and aluminum ground wires or can I just use a long braid? The hot and neutral wires will obviously both be attached with Alumiconns.
  2. I see that the recommended method of obtaining the proper torque is to use a torque screwdriver. However, I'm having a very hard time finding one locally, not to mention they cost a fortune. I couldn't even find one at Sears. Does anybody know of a supplier that sells these at a reasonable price? I realize I could just use the number of turns method but would rather not since it isn't UL listed.
  3. I will be using a J-box to house these connections regardless but I'm just curious, are J-boxes required or can you just wrap up the connections with electrical tape?
Any other aluminum wiring tricks and tips are welcomed. Thanks.

GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,176

Alumiconn Wire Connectors

Definitely require J. boxes for the splices. I would recommend metal boxes and be sure to ground the box. Use the same splices for the grounds as the current carrying conductors.