Almost Burned The House Down! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

almost burned the house down!

I'm trying to wire up a multiple bulb chandelier. It has 3 wires coming out of it. One has a green (turquoise) stripe, one has a light gray stripe and one has no stripe at all. I wired the green to the black, the light gray to the white and the unmarked to ground. That was a BAAAAADDDDD idea. How should I wire this? (I have what I assume to be standard white and black wires out of the ceiling box.

THANKS!!!

Advertisement

Casey1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1600 View Post
I'm trying to wire up a multiple bulb chandelier. It has 3 wires coming out of it. One has a green (turquoise) stripe, one has a light gray stripe and one has no stripe at all. I wired the green to the black, the light gray to the white and the unmarked to ground. That was a BAAAAADDDDD idea. How should I wire this? (I have what I assume to be standard white and black wires out of the ceiling box.

THANKS!!!
I would think Ground goes to One has a green (turquoise) stripe,White to the one that has light gray stripe ,Black to the one that has no stripe at all. Thats what i would think but see what other people say if you had a Continuity Tester you could trace out and know for sure.

Advertisement

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Normally green is ground, black is hot and white is neutral. So the light gray stripe is probably your hot. What probably happened is you shorted hot with ground.

So what you probably want to do is:

green to ground
stripe to black
unmarked to white

Though the instructions should probably mention what each is.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is this an older light?
I've looked online for newer lights for wiring info

What color are the wires, we know the stripe colors........
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #5

Thanks everyone!

Here's my update. I took the fixture apart and green is definitely the ground. It's wired to the body of the fixture inside. The rest of the interior of the fixture is wired with black wires that are bundled together. One bundle goes to the striped wire and one goes to the blank wire.

The fixture is newer, but is from eBay and has no instructions with is.

From your responses, one person said to wire the striped wire to black and one person said to wire it to white. Anyone care to be a tie breaker? Does this even matter except when I go to change lightbulbs it's possible to get a shock if it's hooked up backwards?

Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #6

Oh, and I have looked on-line for a diagram but with no luck. Thanks for the good suggestion though!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Normally for lights I don't think hot/neutral really matters, but always good to make sure it's done right. The thread part is the neutral, so it's safer to touch that then it is to touch the center, which is harder to accidentally touch, so that's one reason of doing it properly. I'm not in the mood to try it right now, but think if you were to touch the thread part of a live socket you would not get a shock as the neutral has no potential difference with the ground.

But don't go trying that, in case I'm wrong.

That said a quick way to test is see if there is continuity between the non stripe wire and the thread part of the socket. That will confirm which wire is neutral (white).
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #8

I took the chandelier apart again and have discovered that the bumpy part of the black wires that go to each socket are all bundled and wired to the striped wire and the smooth parts of those wires are bundled with the non-striped wire. Are the bumpy ones the hot?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:52 AM   #9

I say this as someone who normally encourages DIY work and as someone who has even stomped on people for being what I feel was too quick to say "call a pro"...

No offense intended, but you really should call an electrician to help you. Lord knows what sort of fixture that you may have picked up on Ebay...There is a lot of unlisted untested imported junk for sale out there, and a lot of it is downright dangerous. The odd color pattern of the phase and neutral wires on the fixture could very well be indicative of that. The fact that you hooked the green wire (ALWAYS the ground) to a phase conductor indicates to me that you don't really have any knowledge regarding wiring of fixtures, making safe and proper connections, bonding requirements, etc.

Doing this wrong puts you, your family, your home, and your neighbors' homes at risk. It isn't the time for best guesses or tie-breakers.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,048

Because the metal socket shell may be surrounded by plastic, the wire connections are not always easy to see.

Do not touch the inside socket shell if that is exposed and the power is on. Even though the neutral is sometimes called "the grounded conductor" because it is (should be) grounded down at the panel, there are situations where you could get a shock including miswiring of the light fixture connecting the hot wire there. (The ground wire also has the description "grounding conductor".)

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-31-2009 at 02:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #11

The ribbed wire is the neutral, look on a polarized appliance plug, it should go to the wider plug blade.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
Electrician

Rewards Points: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Normally for lights I don't think hot/neutral really matters, but always good to make sure it's done right.
Hot and neutral are very important on light especially the screw) in type. If you wire it backwards the shell(the threaded part, the proper name is a lost to me right now) will be engergized instead of the tab on the bottom. Your more likely to touch the shell then the tab at the bottom.

It would work reversed but could be very dangerous.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Hot and neutral are very important on light especially the screw) in type. If you wire it backwards the shell(the threaded part, the proper name is a lost to me right now) will be engergized instead of the tab on the bottom. Your more likely to touch the shell then the tab at the bottom.

It would work reversed but could be very dangerous.
Yeah kind of figured. Another instance of where something can work, but it's still not right.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey1600 View Post
Thanks everyone!

Here's my update. I took the fixture apart and green is definitely the ground. It's wired to the body of the fixture inside. The rest of the interior of the fixture is wired with black wires that are bundled together. One bundle goes to the striped wire and one goes to the blank wire.

The fixture is newer, but is from eBay and has no instructions with is.

From your responses, one person said to wire the striped wire to black and one person said to wire it to white. Anyone care to be a tie breaker? Does this even matter except when I go to change lightbulbs it's possible to get a shock if it's hooked up backwards?

Thanks again!
Striped should be HOT! As one poster suggested, you should get a continuity tester. (hopefully you know how to use it safely) Always disconnect power before testing for continuity. I/m afraid it is a foreign manufacture Chandelier. The wires for less than 250v. in the USA are not Gray/striped. (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
I wired the green to the black
That's never a good idea

Quote:
Striped should be HOT!
No.

"Identified" conductor = neutral

Sometimes it's ribbed, sometimes it lettered, sometimes it's striped.

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling , chandelier , lighting , wiring