All My Bathroom Outlet Don't Have Power - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

all my bathroom outlet don't have power

I'm not exactly sure how this happened but all my bathroom outlets ran out of power over the weekend.

Also the GFCI outlet outside at the patio does not produce power.

I checked my fuse box, and power cycled , and it seems to have power at the fuse box, but not at the receptacle...

Do all the bathroom outlets somehow come together at one point in my attic?

Advertisement

nugentoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is there a GFCI outlet in the bathroom or somewhere else that feeds the bathroom ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

A hidden GFCI somewhere is the likely cause if both the hot and the neutral have become open-circuited.
If only the hot or only the neutral is lost, it's a bad wirenut or outlet connection.
You'll need an incand. [not neon] test lamp, an extension cord and some clip leads to test for these conditions.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-13-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,506

Most likely cause is a GFCI tripped somewhere or the one you found is bad. Most common place is in the garage behind the pile of stuff or the beer fridge. It is not uncommon in older homes to have all the GFCI receptacles on the same circuit. Those would include garage, outside and all bathroom receptacles.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #5

Ok, I have a multi-meter with some pretty thin leads that I can get to the neutral and hot ... Do I measure the AC voltage with respect to the ground (middle) plug?

Scuba_dave, both bathrooms do not have a GFCI outlet (house is about 20yrs old).

Sorry I miswrote in my opening post, the outdoor patio outlet is just the one with a spring cover for outdoor use, it is NOT a GFCI outlet.
nugentoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugentoffer View Post
Ok, I have a multi-meter with some pretty thin leads that I can get to the neutral and hot ... Do I measure the AC voltage with respect to the ground (middle) plug?

Scuba_dave, both bathrooms do not have a GFCI outlet (house is about 20yrs old).

Sorry I miswrote in my opening post, the outdoor patio outlet is just the one with a spring cover for outdoor use, it is NOT a GFCI outlet.
Just because the outlet's in question are not GFCI, does not mean that its not fed by a GFCI. I would look for a GFI somewhere in the house and see if its tripped. It might be somewhere that does not get used much or at all.
Volteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,372

Could it be the GFCI on the patio feeds the bathrooms? I owned a hose in CT built in 1978 where there was a GFCI in the downstairs bath that fed 2 baths upstairs and 2 outside outlets. Certainly not to code today, maybe not even then.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,048

Normally you test hot to neutral to see if the receptacle is live.

Once in a blue moon you have to do other tests, like hot to ground, to be sure. If you get power you know the circuit is live but if you do not get power, there are numerous places where the break could be.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,506

Like I said ysetreday. Your updates just confirm my thinking. LOOK FOR A TRIPPED GFCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Most likely cause is a GFCI tripped somewhere or the one you found is bad. Most common place is in the garage behind the pile of stuff or the beer fridge. It is not uncommon in older homes to have all the GFCI receptacles on the same circuit. Those would include garage, outside and all bathroom receptacles.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

I had a call to a home built in the last eight (8) years. Lost power to both baths and receptacle on back porch at the same time. I'm thinking GFCI on the way over. No GFCI in either bath or back porch. I ask to see the panel, no GFCI breaker in panel. UH-OH, this means I have to think . After going back and looking through both baths and the porch again I go back to the panel. While looking in the panel I happened to back up and noticed a GFCI outlet mounted at panel height, just maybe six inches to the right of the panel, the open panel door was hiding it--odd place to me. Resetting this GFCI outlet restored power to both baths and back porch. Being as the homeowner knew her neighbor well I asked to look at that home, same set-up. So-a GFCI outlet seems to be the consensus here as to the answer to your problem. It may be located in some odd place. David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote