Alarm System - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Alarm system

Installing ext. siren to Simon XT

Advertisement

marcurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

Alarm system

Cool story.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Alarm system

Presumably you are seeking help?

I have limited alarm/electrical experience, as well as limited knowledge regarding the subject. I have a Simon XT and have done some preliminary research, which I will do my best to accurately convey, however I do not know the accuracy of the information itself.

Here are a few posts that I bookmarked related to the issues (all found simply by Googling - the DIY Security/Alarm forums are great):
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...al-sirens.html

http://www.diyalarmforum.com/board/i...?topic=15543.0

http://www.diysecurityforum.com/index.php?topic=29482.0

The Simon XT does not guarantee enough power (primarily when on battery backup) to drive most/normal external sirens. As such, it is not recommended to rely on the units internal power feed to drive large external sirens.

Option 1 - There is one external wired GE siren that it can drive, but I have read that it is not that loud compared to 'real' external sirens due to the required low power consumption.

Option 2 - Use a self-powered wireless siren. I haven't looked into this much, but a Z-Wave siren was recommended by my alarm installer. I assume they would need their own power & battery backup, and are triggered wirelessly.

Option 3 - Someone also recommended small low-power piezo speakers (from Radio Shack) which are supposed to be low enough power that you can use a few of them, and also supposed to be very loud for low-power device.

Option 4 - There are ways to wire a relay switch such that the siren draws its own power directly, and the switch turns it on based on the signal from the control panel. I think one of the links above starts to get into the details of this. Doesn't sound terribly complicated, but the information I found may be a bit vague/incomplete for someone without much prior knowledge (like myself). I think adding battery backup to this type of system is another adventure entirely requiring more substantial electrical skills and knowledge.

Anyway, that's all I've got for you, hope it helps. I found enough information to discourage me from proceeding - for now. My ultimate plan is to wire an external siren up into my attic across the house from the control panel (as a decoy), so I can hide the panel and confidently reduce my monitoring to 'regular' rather than 'deluxe' (which prevents smash-and-grab for additional $$)
greenfrog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #4

Alarm system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Cool story.
Thanks Seattle, I`ll try to follow info provided
marcurt is offline   Reply With Quote