Alarm Programming Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Alarm Programming Help

Folks,

I need some advice. I'm moved into this new house which already has a DSC PC 1616 security system installed (FK5508 - panel). The alarm seems to be working b/c it chimes if I open any doors/ window.

I want to program an access code so that I can turn on the alarm. I haven't turned it on since I moved into the house. I just want to turn it on at night and when I go somewhere.

I tried to read the manual/reference and nothing seems to be helping. Please guide me. If I call the security company they would charge me just for the demonstration! Please help.

thanks
kirridam

Advertisement

kirridam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Alarm Programming Help

Try and contact the old owners to see if their code still works. I believe there is a way to wipe the code and rewrite it, but it is not going to be information that is hanging out on the interweb. I have a hunch, that the old code will still do it. If you can't get in contact with them, think lazy. Try the address of the house, and then the address backwards.

Advertisement

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #3

Alarm Programming Help

See if this will help. http://www.ncas.ca/downloads/dsc_1616_user_manual.pdf

Programing codes document page 8 PDF page 13. You will need to have the master code. If you can't get it from the previous owner you can get it from the installer, who you may want to call and have that code changed also.

Last edited by hayewe farm; 03-26-2009 at 12:21 AM.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Alarm Programming Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
See if this will help. http://www.ncas.ca/downloads/dsc_1616_user_manual.pdf

Programing codes document page 8 PDF page 13. You will need to have the master code. If you can't get it from the previous owner you can get it from the installer, who you may want to call and have that code changed also.
I don't have the master code. I'm the first owner of the house and I don't know who I should contact. Is there a default master code number that I can try?
kirridam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #5

Alarm Programming Help

If there is no installer's label on the equipment, call the builder, try a local security installation company, or contact the manufacturer
Digital Security Controls,
3301 Langstaff Road
Concord, Ontario, Canada,
L4K 4L2

Phone: (905) 760-3000
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Alarm Programming Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirridam View Post
I don't have the master code. I'm the first owner of the house and I don't know who I should contact. Is there a default master code number that I can try?
You have a link to an online manual for this?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 03-26-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #7

Alarm Programming Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
You have a link to an online manual for this?
But you would still need to know the factory set master code. That's probably the code tha's already there.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Alarm Programming Help

Its the responsibility of the salesperson to demonstrate all the quirks of your new home! Heating, cooling, utility shut-offs, alarm systems, garage door openers etc.
If you didn't receive instructions for these, you have been short changed and you should contact the builder of your new home!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Alarm Programming Help

your alarm system is in the chime mode . you can turn it on/off by pressing your security code (ex. 1 2 3 4 ) then chime button. that is when you are in disarmed status of the system. when you want your alarm system to be activated at night you can arm it by pressing your code, then the (stay , away ,instant button depending on what type of arming you like). you can disarm it by pressing your code, then the off button.
abbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #10

Alarm Programming Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbet View Post
your alarm system is in the chime mode . you can turn it on/off by pressing your security code (ex. 1 2 3 4 ) then chime button. that is when you are in disarmed status of the system. when you want your alarm system to be activated at night you can arm it by pressing your code, then the (stay , away ,instant button depending on what type of arming you like). you can disarm it by pressing your code, then the off button.
If you read the post, he just bought the house and doesn't have the codes. He wants to program an access code but he needs the Master Code to do that.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #11

Alarm Programming Help

Heres from the DSC website

"Iíve just moved into a new home and there is a DSC system installed, how can I activate the system?
DSC is a manufacturer only, and sells its products through distribution to security professionals. DSC does not monitor, install, or service its products. To activate your system, contact a local dealer/installer"

Bottom of page
http://www.dsc.com/end_user_page.html
aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Eibwen

Alarm Programming Help

Call the seller back and have them provide a code for it.

Its a fixed part of the house so they owe that to you.

But calling the alarm company is not a bad option either.
They'll want to sell you the monthly monitoring but an alarm that is unmonitored is pretty much useless.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #13

Alarm Programming Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
They'll want to sell you the monthly monitoring but an alarm that is unmonitored is pretty much useless.
I disagree.
Even if your system is unmonitored it will make enough noise to run the perpetrators off. Due to a recent attempted break in we learned a lot about alarms before we had one installed.
The one key thing if you have an unmonitored house alarm is make sure you have a external alarm. That way your whole neighborhood will know something is wrong. You can pick one of those up for less than $20.
But if you can afford monthly monitoring that's the best bet.
Also check around on prices of monitoring. Because you own your on system some companies will due it far less than a contract monitoring.

Last edited by aced19; 03-29-2009 at 10:09 PM.
aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
Eibwen

Alarm Programming Help

Most home alarms dont have an exterior siren which is why the monitoring is important.

Also consider that the perp may not be your "normal" criminal. May be a drug crazed crack head and the pretty noise from the alarm may not faze him.

Having an alarm without monitoring is about like have having a gun, but no bullets....

Both work great til somebody calls your bluff.....

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote