Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AL wiring - adding CU

Hi,

I need to run an additional circuit (hopefully this is the right word) to feed the floor heating mat in the kitchen. I do have fuse box and AL wiring throughout the house. The questions is should I run AL or I can go ahead with CU?

Thanks...

polarbear3270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

AL wiring - adding CU

copper will be fine. You can use a smaller size copper than al. Smaller not cheaper.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

AL wiring - adding CU

I was under the assumption that Aluminum wire was out lawed from using in residential wiring in the late 70's earely 80's . go with copper.
BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

AL wiring - adding CU

actually the National Electrical Code does not outlaw aluminum wiring but I bet you won;t find aluminum wire for this use to purchase.

polarbear:

use copper. IF you could even find aluminum wire, there are inherent problems and requirements that are eliminated easily by using copper.

Do NOT connect to the aluminum wiring without the proper materials and procedure to do so.

as to Tazincr's post. You must use the size of wire listed by the NEC for the application and limitations. Simply claiming the ability to use a smaller wire due to the copper is very misleading and even sometimes incorrect.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear3270 View Post
Hi,

I need to run an additional circuit (hopefully this is the right word) to feed the floor heating mat in the kitchen. I do have fuse box and AL wiring throughout the house. The questions is should I run AL or I can go ahead with CU?

Thanks...
What type of wire to use depends on the size of the circuit. For larger circuits most professional electricians will use Aluminum wire due to cost. For small circuits, copper wire is always used.

Tell us more about the circuit, and we will give you better information. Will this be a new circuit from the fuse/breaker box? How many amps does the heating mat call for?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,004

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I was under the assumption that Aluminum wire was out lawed from using in residential wiring in the late 70's earely 80's . go with copper.
BOB
It's not permissible now, but was permissible back then. Since the AL wire was installed when it was allowed, he is not required to upgrade to copper. However, should the OP do major renovation work, his AHJ may require the copper upgrade.

Since AL wire is listed in sizes of 20 amp and higher in article 310, it could be a jurisdictional thing. See art. 240 "d"
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #7

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
It's not permissible now, but was permissible back then. Since the AL wire was installed when it was allowed, he is not required to upgrade to copper. However, should the OP do major renovation work, his AHJ may require the copper upgrade.

Since AL wire is listed in sizes of 20 amp and higher in article 310, it could be a jurisdictional thing. See art. 240 "d"
understood it would of been pre existing, but if the op was to run a new circuit wood he be required to run copper?? being it will need a underwriters certifi. BOB
Old 08-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

AL wiring - adding CU

Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Much appreciated.

As World History goes neighbors south of the border were in big need for CU to support infantry few thousand miles away. So, this is how I ended up with AL throughout the house :-) But that was for the good cause in my opinion.

This would be a new circuit to the fuse box and heating mat calls for 1.5 AMP.
polarbear3270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Licensed Electrician

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear3270 View Post
Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Much appreciated.

As World History goes neighbors south of the border were in big need for CU to support infantry few thousand miles away. So, this is how I ended up with AL throughout the house :-) But that was for the good cause in my opinion.

This would be a new circuit to the fuse box and heating mat calls for 1.5 AMP.
Then you would install a new #14 copper wire circuit of 15 amps or a #12 copper wire circuit of 20 amps.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

AL wiring - adding CU

Would someone please be so kind as to cite the electric code article which prohibits the use of aluminum wire. Thank you.

We are misleading people by saying aluminum conductors are illegal, unreliable, undesirable, and not installed all over America every day. Small branch circuits of #14, #12, and #10 are no longer installed using Aluminum wire even though there is no code article prohibiting it. Aluminum conductors are used often and with excellent results. The secret is when and where to use them.

Last edited by jrclen; 08-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #11

AL wiring - adding CU

Aluminum service cables and feeders are commonplace. Not branch circuits. I can't provide code sections on weekends...No NEC at the house!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #12

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Would someone please be so kind as to cite the electric code article which prohibits the use of aluminum wire. Thank you.

We are misleading people by saying aluminum conductors are illegal, unreliable, undesirable, and not installed all over America every day. Small branch circuits of #14, #12, and #10 are no longer installed using Aluminum wire even though there is no code article prohibiting it. Aluminum conductors are used often and with excellent results. The secret is when and where to use them.
Here IN Long Island NEW York. We can not use it any where in the house. the utilities can bring it in from the street to the weather head. from that point down it must be copper. we have had to Meany electrical fires do to broken connections. @ switches and receptacles. BOB
Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:

as I stated previously, I cannot find any code section dissallowing aluminum wire.

as a matter of fact, 310.14 specifically list the alloy required for #8, #10, and #12 aluminum wire.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician

AL wiring - adding CU

As you said Nap, there is no national code disallowing it, but also as you said, you won't find it available in small conductors. Bob's local code being an exception to the discussion.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,004

AL wiring - adding CU

Quote:
As you said Nap, there is no national code disallowing it, but also as you said, you won't find it available in small conductors. Bob's local code being an exception to the discussion.
There is are answer. When I noticed it listed in 310.60 starting at #12, I tried to find an exception with no luck. Thanks John

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote