Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

AL pull elbows

This may be a stupid question, but here goes, the Aluminum pull elbows (LL, LB) that are made for RMC. Do they fully maintain the integrity of EMT, interms of it's bond? (meaning with one of the LL's installed it is still a fully functional & legal fault path correct?) (I know it is a metal on metal connection, so I am sure it will be functional, I am wondering more about if it is legit)

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

AL pull elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
This may be a stupid question, but here goes, the Aluminum pull elbows (LL, LB) that are made for RMC. Do they fully maintain the integrity of EMT, interms of it's bond? (meaning with one of the LL's installed it is still a fully functional & legal fault path correct?) (I know it is a metal on metal connection, so I am sure it will be functional, I am wondering more about if it is legit)

Jamie
LL, LR, LB etc, are conduit bodies, and are a different beast than pull elbows, just so you know. But yes, they are as valid a connection as a conduit fault path can be.

Last edited by InPhase277; 02-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
DIY'er

AL pull elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
LL, LR, LB etc, are conduit bodies, and are a different beast than pull elbows, just so you know. But yes, they are as valid a connection as a conduit fault path can be.
By what home depot stocks, you'd think everyone uses plastic conduit for everything. They only have LB's in metal, but lots of options in plastic.

I'll check my local hardware store. Otherwise there is a supply house that I can buy from, a couple of the things they have quoted me on have been way more than they should be, so I have bought most stuff retail.

Thanks

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

AL pull elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
By what home depot stocks, you'd think everyone uses plastic conduit for everything. They only have LB's in metal, but lots of options in plastic.

I'll check my local hardware store. Otherwise there is a supply house that I can buy from, a couple of the things they have quoted me on have been way more than they should be, so I have bought most stuff retail.

Thanks

Jamie
I'd imagine they are quoting you more because you don't have an account with them or are buying too little so they are probably charging you a handling fee of sorts. As far as maintaining a good solid ground connection, you could always run a ground wire through and attach it at both ends to ensure a solid ground. That's probably what I would do in this situation.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

AL pull elbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatretch85 View Post
I'd imagine they are quoting you more because you don't have an account with them or are buying too little so they are probably charging you a handling fee of sorts. As far as maintaining a good solid ground connection, you could always run a ground wire through and attach it at both ends to ensure a solid ground. That's probably what I would do in this situation.
Correct, Four prices. Best price = Contract pricing, second = contractors with acct's, third = people like Jamie, fourth = government agencies (without contract).

I always pull an EGC regardless if metal or plastic conduit.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote