Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

AL & Copper

HI;

Quick question, On my dad's Cuttler hammer CH we discovered his main neutral lug is doubled tapped, and has been this way for a number of years.

The AL service entrance cable and the copper ground to the water pipe are both connected on the same lug. Of course we know this is wrong, and he is going to correct it.

The AL Appears to be in very good condition. The question is, could this copper to AL connection have caused damage in the service cable that is not visible; due to the reaction between the 2 metals? Or if a reaction took place would it only have been where the 2 metals are touching?

Replacing the SE cable would be a very involved task due to how it is run. But of course my dad would would rather change it proactively if there is a chance the inside of this cable is damaged.

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Electrician

AL & Copper

When you say your service entrance cable you mean the neutral of that cable is on the same lug as the ground. The ground and neutral have to be tied together at the main panel.

So the fact that the neutral and ground are together is correct but i don't know if that is a correct way of doing it.

darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

AL & Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
The AL service entrance cable and the copper ground to the water pipe are both connected on the same lug. Of course we know this is wrong, and he is going to correct it.
you mean they were in the same hole of a lug, yes?

Look between the strands for corrosion. If there isn't any, I would not worry about it. If there is corrosion between the strands, then you should replace the wire as needed.

you can spread the strands apart a bit to see. Don;t stress them too much though.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

AL & Copper

It's likely that any reaction was localized to our space-time continuum. But the cable is fine, I doubt there is anything beyond maybe some crusty corrosion between them. The quickest and cheapest fix would be to shut off the main, back the neutral lug off, and pull the ground out. Re-terminate it on the bar.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
DIY'er

AL & Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
It's likely that any reaction was localized to our space-time continuum. But the cable is fine, I doubt there is anything beyond maybe some crusty corrosion between them. The quickest and cheapest fix would be to shut off the main, back the neutral lug off, and pull the ground out. Re-terminate it on the bar.
HI

Nap; Yes, both were fed to the some hole on the same lug.

Were going to fix it tomorrow AM, there is some slack, if the very end is bad, there is room to cut and re-terminate. I assume a dab of no-ox on the AL would be prudent if we end up going that route.

Some of his grounds have become energized, it's gonna be fun... I am sure we will discover the fault is on the knob and tube wiring buried deep in some attic junction box where someone spliced in some romex decades ago.

Thanks again

Jamie
Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
DIY'er

AL & Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
When you say your service entrance cable you mean the neutral of that cable is on the same lug as the ground. The ground and neutral have to be tied together at the main panel.

So the fact that the neutral and ground are together is correct but i don't know if that is a correct way of doing it.

The SE cable is doubled tapped on a lug that I am sure is only approved for one wire. Yes it is all bonded together.
Thanks
Jamie
Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #7

AL & Copper

Jamie, The bonding conductor should be moved to one of the terminals on the neutral bar or ground bar that is connected to the neutral bar. I always use Noalox on AL lug terminals. Put a little on the lug threads too. Then if you ever need to back it off it will unscrew easily.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
DIY'er

AL & Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Jamie, The bonding conductor should be moved to one of the terminals on the neutral bar or ground bar that is connected to the neutral bar. I always use Noalox on AL lug terminals. Put a little on the lug threads too. Then if you ever need to back it off it will unscrew easily.
Thanks will do. There was no lug large enough for the 4awg they ran from the water meter. So I bought a new lug yesterday. We are going to mount in the new lug and move the water meter bond over today.

My parents house was built around 1917. It is a mix of knob and tube, romex, MC, condiut, etc. We are trying to figure out where some of the ground have become energized. It is a mess! Mystery hidden junction boxes are the worst!

Jamie
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #9

AL & Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Mystery hidden junction boxes are the worst!

Jamie
I don't even want to try to find any in my attic...theres about 1-2 ft of blown in insulation in there...even the old roof.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote