Air Tub And Gfci/light Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

air tub and gfci/light question

I am doing my bathroom over soon and am looking for a little clarification from another source here. i have a bath/fan/heater, installing on its own circuit. no problem.
I have a light above mirror and a gfci outlet i need to add, can i wire these 2 together, or does the gfci also need its own circuit?
I was looking at this air tub (BainUltra all models have same electrical install) and the installation guide and it has the following for electrical hookups:
The electrical system must be connected to an

independent circuit protected by a
15 AMP Class A

ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) that is new
for baths with 1 heated backrest.

This electrical circuit must imperatively

be grounded. Electrical cable feeding bath must be
at least N 12 AWG caliber.

Turbine must be connected

to its own circuit, which, in turn must be
connected directly in breaker panel without any

interrupters or dimmer switches.

The diagram has a plug for the turbine and a plug for the control module for speed, lights, etc.
i understand it as, using 12 AWG cable and a 15 amp breaker in the panel and a 15 amp rated gfci under the tub and plug the 2 into the 1 gfci. yes or no? thoughts or opinions?? thanks guys.

Advertisement

bryan1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,862

Sounds like the tub needs two separate circuits. The nameplate data would help to confirm this. Under the 2011 NEC the GFI must be readily accessible. Under the skirt does not satisfy this.

As long as the bathroom receptacle does not leave that room it can be shared with the lighting. Remember that any lighting will reduce the ability to run blow dryers and curling irons.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #3

it only has 1 plug, i didnt get the chromatherapy unit which was the additional plug.
Air turbine motor is: 0.8 HP, 120V,600W 5 AMPS.
Air heater: 700 W, 5.8Amps
its all 1 unit with 1 plug thats how its listed.
it calls for 15 amp breaker and AT LEAST 12 AWG. the wirerun is about 50 feet.
is what it calls for acceptible?
EDIT:i will use a regular outlet under the tub and a faceless gfci near the light switches, will be at least 5 feet away but no more then 10 feet. any idea for a good place to locate the faceless gfci? next to the gfci near the sink? in its own box near the light switches?

Last edited by bryan1282; 03-07-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: thought popped in my head
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

Old 03-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Master of none

The canadian electrical code specifies that tub installations must be protected by a gfci breaker and this breaker may not also supply any other load. As you will run a new supply line for the tub, it may be simpler to install a gfci breaker in the panel rather than a separate outlet. Your rules may differ but I recomment you check. My jetted tub is wired with 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp gfci breaker.

You mention 12 gauge wire and a 15 amp circuit. The Canadian code requires 12 gauge wire for 20 amps and only 14 gauge for 15 amps. Perhaps a professional can answer whether #12 wire is needed in your case.
handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Electrician Canadian Eh!!

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy andy View Post
The canadian electrical code specifies that tub installations must be protected by a gfci breaker and this breaker may not also supply any other load. As you will run a new supply line for the tub, it may be simpler to install a gfci breaker in the panel rather than a separate outlet. Your rules may differ but I recomment you check. My jetted tub is wired with 12 gauge wire on a 20 amp gfci breaker.

You mention 12 gauge wire and a 15 amp circuit. The Canadian code requires 12 gauge wire for 20 amps and only 14 gauge for 15 amps. Perhaps a professional can answer whether #12 wire is needed in your case.
Don't you mean GFCI circuit? ( Can be provided by a gfi plug on a dedicated circuit)
I have noticed a lot of the states have a base standard of using 12 AWG wire where those in Canada have accepted 14 AWG as acceptable for 15 Amp.

To the OP
I have seen the GFI loacted at the panel, even.
Keep it accessible.
May I reccomend installing a timer for the tub.
hhuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #7

the tub instructions say AT LEAST a 12 guage wire, with a 15 amp breaker with 1 heated backrest like mine has, if it had 2 heated backrest it requires a 20 amp breaker.. the tub will have a timer included in the control panel, you can set 4 different session settings with it, its a bain ultra basa, its pretty sweet. i was thinking the faceless gfci so that i wouldnt have to walk down to the basement wet should it trip and install a regular breaker. and yes it cant be under the skirt like jim port said, it should be accesible. i wasnt sure if i could put it next to the gfci outlet near the sink to make it more clean or make a seperate box just for that. i would only have the tub on the circuit as well. i was wondering if 12 guage was enough for 50 feet, it says AT LEAST 12AWG and i saw on some diy sites, they said use 10AWG which seems much. i should just let an electrician do that part at least, its not hard work but its pretty damn important, i can do the fan and gfci outlet.
thank you all for your help also, its nice you take time out of your day to help others.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,862

Number 12 should be fine at a distance of 50 feet.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #9

good enough then, any thoughts on locating the faceless gfci? where would you install it?

Advertisement