Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

air conditioner circuit

Hello:

I wanted to know if I could run two a/c wall units on 1 20amp circuit? The wall units state they run at 7.5 amps.

thanks!

zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

air conditioner circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
Hello:

I wanted to know if I could run two a/c wall units on 1 20amp circuit? The wall units state they run at 7.5 amps.

thanks!

Theoretically, yes, but it depends on what else is on that circuit. These must be small units if they only draw 7.5 amps. If you are using them in the same room, it would be more efficient to use a properly-sized single unit (this will draw more than 7.5 amps, but will be a single unit and will draw less than 15 amps).

Personally, I'd put each unit on a dedicated 15A circuit with a single receptacle (one circuit for each). This virtually eliminates the possibility of an overload, and also ensures that no other circuits/devices are disturbed if one of the circuits trips.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,516

air conditioner circuit

Maybe. You would need to make sure they both don't try to start at the same time. The start up current will be much higher than the 14.5 amps.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

air conditioner circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clashley View Post
Theoretically, yes, but it depends on what else is on that circuit. These must be small units if they only draw 7.5 amps. If you are using them in the same room, it would be more efficient to use a properly-sized single unit (this will draw more than 7.5 amps, but will be a single unit and will draw less than 15 amps).

Personally, I'd put each unit on a dedicated 15A circuit with a single receptacle (one circuit for each). This virtually eliminates the possibility of an overload, and also ensures that no other circuits/devices are disturbed if one of the circuits trips.
They will be in two seperate bedrooms. I currently have a dedicated 20 Amp circuit supplying one of them. I wanted to put one in the other bedroom and just connect into the 20 Amp circuit since it would be the easiest thing to do. The rooms are only about 150 sq/ft each so no need for bigger units. (7500 Btus). There is nothing else on this circuit.
zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote