Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

Air compressor wiring help

So I have a 5 hp IR air compressor that im adding to my garage. I have a 100 sub Panel in there. This is a 220 motor. I got a 50amp 4 wire plug and a replacement wiring plug kit for a dryer or such. The wiring kit is a 6-2 and 8-2 kit. Total of 4 wires. I ran like 2 feet of romex 6-3 with ground to the new outlet box mounted on the wall next to my 100amp sub. Thats all connected and I think is fine useing romex.

Now my Q is on the AIR compressor. It shows to hook up the 2 hots and a ground. Shows the ground sign. I thought I would need 2 hots and netrual? Whats right? Which of the wires do I need to use. Also to note the romex had a fairly small ground wire compaired to the ground in the compressor and the wiring kit I got. So what you think? Thanks JIM

integlikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Well It looks like I got the wrong plug, didnt I? I should have just went with a 3 wire setup for welders and air compressors. Also looks like I do need only ground, as 220 never uses a netural. Well this will have to work for the mean time I just wont use the netural in the wiring plug, and Ill have to change out the wall plug later when I get my welder. Thanks JIM

integlikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

On the nameplate for the compressor what does it say? 220 or 120/220? If it says 220, then you only need three wires. 2 hots and one ground. No neutral. Look at the compressor nameplate, not the motor nameplate.
You can use your four wire cord and plug kit. Just leave the neutral in the j-box and connect only the three wires you need.
A 5 Hp motor will pull about 28 amps at full load. Why did you get a 50 amp plug? It's okay, but you do not need it unless the compressor instructions call for a 50 amp circuit.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #4

[quote=J. A 5 Hp motor will pull about 28 amps at full load. Why did you get a 50 amp plug? It's okay, but you do not need it unless the compressor instructions call for a 50 amp circuit.[/quote]

Wouldn't you have to use a 50 amp plug and receptacle? A 30 amp would be to small and I don't believe they make a 40 amp plug and receptacle. You can use the 50 amp plug and receptacle with 8 awg on a 40 amp breaker can't you? That is how my air compressor is hooked up.
Plumbvoltage is offline   Reply With Quote