DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Air Compressor Timer

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Stubbie 
#1 ·
I forgot to turn off the circuit breaker to my air compressor last night. Well, during the night it turned on, and at some point both connecting rods broke. Since it couldn't build pressure, it ran for who knows how long until I heard it running this morning.

Is there a method or system available to prevent an air compressor running uncontrolled for long periods? I thought of using a timer that could be set to run for, say, 30 minutes every time the compressor starts and resets when the compressor turns off. I think that would be long enough since I don't believe I would ever need to operate the compressor any longer, but if it were unattended, short enough to prevent an uncontrolled run time.

I've searched online, but haven't found anything that has a delay longer than 17 minutes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Larry

#2 ·
About the only thing I could think of that is practical and somewhat affordable would be a PLC. With a simple timer programme you could accomplish an "off delay" function. The cost of a simple one is under $200.00 now. Although if you don't know how to programme a PLC than, an electrician will need to be paid. Yee-haw:furious:

#3 ·
What about a water heater timer. Set it where the compressor can only operate during the time you use it.
You can always switch this type of timer on manually if needed.

Cheap....Lowes or Home Depot has them. These timers open the circuit feeding the compressor.

Eh Canada....You going to train him to program the PLC, Way over kill.

#4 · (Edited)
I'd sorta like to know why the air compressor couldn't build pressure? Something out of the norm had to be in place to allow the compressor to no load run all night. High limit and low limit being in place and working properly should cycle the compressor. Was a tank bypass open or maybe the bleed/drain port? Maybe a hose quick disconnect stuck open? I think your problem isn't one that would not readily occur without an oversite and you are possibly over reacting. I realize you have a rather expensive repair but I think the cause was just "one of those things".
As for switching devices or timers we would need to know just how big this compressor is and its load rating.

Stubbie

#7 ·
You could run the compressor to a switch next to your light switch at the door on the way out. That way it's hard not to turn off the compressor when you leave the shop.

But my first thought was the same as Stubbie's - A timer isn't really the problem here. (I leave my compressor on much of the time.) The problem is that something busted so the compressor lost pressure.

#8 ·
Install a timer between the pressure switch and motor compressor. If the compressor takes 5 minutes to trigger the high pressure shut off then set the timer to say 7 minutes. The timer will shut off the compressor motor if pressure isn't reached after seven minutes. The timer will reset every time the high pressure switch disengages the feed to the motor when the set operating pressure is reached ... if not... then the timer will kill the circuit after too much time has elapsed.

As I mentioned before the timer will need to be able to handle the load.

Stubbie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.