Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 AM   #1

Share |

Air compressor problem

I was given an old portable compressor that worked fine but was filthy. I made the mistake of rinsing it off with water (being careful not to get the electrical connections wet). Now the compressor motor makes a humming noise like it is trying to start, but is "stuck". Can this be repaired and how?

titlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 AM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Air compressor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by titlehunter View Post
I was given an old portable compressor that worked fine but was filthy. I made the mistake of rinsing it off with water (being careful not to get the electrical connections wet). Now the compressor motor makes a humming noise like it is trying to start, but is "stuck". Can this be repaired and how?
What kind of motor is it? Maybe the water just seized a bearing. A little oil may help. The compressor head may be seized too so it might not be the motor.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #3

Air compressor problem

Possible mistake number two might be starting it before letting it dry out thoroughly.

Unplug it and then try to rotate the motor shaft and all other visible mechanical parts just a little. Should you feel grittiness or hear crunching sounds you would need to stop and disassemble and clean things from the inside.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #4

Air compressor problem

Single phase motor right? Take the capacitor cover off and remove the capacitor or capacitors. Clean it and let it dry. Turn the motor shaft to make sure it is free and turns nice and smooth. Allow motor and controls to dry out completely. If you have compressed air available (no pun intended), blow out motor and pressure switch. Check all wiring as you may have loosened something.
Since it worked before you cleaned it, you know it had to do with the water or water pressure.

Note: Look on the bottom of the motor for a weep hole. These are designed to allow condensate to drip out of the motor. If it is clogged up, the motor may be full of water.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote