Air Compressor Help!!!!!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Air Compressor Help!!!!!!

hey everyone, I am having a problem tryin to figure out how to get my new compressor up and running, I just bought a new air compressor, its a 60 gallon, 3.2 horsepower, 240 volt, 15 amp, 60 hz, 1 ph, now i want it to run in my garage, i know i cant just plug it in and go at it, i need to know how to wire it up, which when i looked at the wiring it has a black/white/green wire, it looks like the black and white wires are the hots, and green is a ground, from here im stuck, i need help, what size wiring i need, amps, breakers, plugs, im just stuck and really dissappointed that the compressor is just sittin in my garage, somebody please help me...... thanks..

Advertisement

T-Dizzle08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

First you need to find out if you even have 220 in the garage. B-W-G is a 110V config. Is there a sub panel in the garage? If so pull the cover and post a couple of pictures. Then maybe you can get some answers.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,480

Dizzle

Is this compressor wired up ready to run with plug-in cord? You said you know you can't plug it in and go so sounds like you are asking how to get power to it correctly.

If so it is a 15 amp load and you are correct the black and white are hots the green is your equipment ground. You simply need to get a 240 volt branch circuit to the garage from your homes fuse or breaker box.

Your going to need 12/2 with ground nm-b (romex) cable or wires in conduit (your choice) and the appropriate receptacle probably a nema 6-20R like this...below. Your also going to need to install a double pole 20 amp breaker in the house panel. The black and white wires in nm-b (romex) will land on the breaker and the equipment ground will land on the ground bar in the panel. It is required to color about an inch or 2 of the white wire black at each end (termination) with a sharpie or tape to identify as using the white as a ungrounded (hot ) conductor.
If any wiring needs to be done at the compressor let us know and we will help you with doing that.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #4

the compressor is brand new. its wired from the motor to the pressure switch, which im assuming thats where i run the new wiring with a plug on it, i checked my garage and i dont have a 220 plug or dreyer type plug, my house was built with an indoor laundry room but my washer/dreyer are gas and there isnt a dreyer plug installed, the only plugs in the laundry room are just basic 3 prong plugs, so u see this is where im stuck, i need to know what wiring i need to use my compressor, TAZIN, if u say the black/white/green wiring setup is a 110 configuration wouldnt i just be able to run it off a normal 3 prong plug or do i still need to add a 20 to 30 or more amp to my breaker box, i do not have a sub panel in my garage, i only have my main breaker box which is on the side of my house, i have empty spots on my breaker box too...
Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,008

Yes, you connect your power to the pressure switch. There should be a wiring diagram for you to reference.
You will need an on off switch if the pressure switch does not have one? You need to install a 220 volt 3 wire branch circuit. Use 12/2 and a 20 amp two pole breaker. You can get everything you need at the big box.

Run the 12/2 cable from the main panel or sub panel to the switch (disconnect). Run from there to the pressure switch. Please look at the wiring diagram before you do ANYTHING.
If you do not have a panel in the garage, you will need to run it all the way back to the main service panel. Or install a sub panel in the garage. Since you will be running a cable anyway, the sub panel may be the best way to go. Then if you need more capability it will be there, ready to use.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
it has a black/white/green wire, it looks like the black and white wires are the hots, and green is a ground,
Correct.

I'd run a 12-2 from your panel to the compressor area. Mark the white wire with black tape to signify it's not a neutral. Install a 2 pole 20 amp breaker. Both wires go to the breaker, ground goes to the ground bus.

In the garage you need a means of disconnect. This can be a receptical or a hard wired disconnect switch. If it's a recep, you obviously need to install a cord and cord cap (plug) on the compressor.

PS. Install the breaker last
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Dizzle

Is this compressor wired up ready to run with plug-in cord? You said you know you can't plug it in and go so sounds like you are asking how to get power to it correctly.

If so it is a 15 amp load and you are correct the black and white are hots the green is your equipment ground. You simply need to get a 240 volt branch circuit to the garage from your homes fuse or breaker box.

Your going to need 12/2 with ground nm-b (romex) cable or wires in conduit (your choice) and the appropriate receptacle probably a nema 6-20R like this...below. Your also going to need to install a double pole 20 amp breaker in the house panel. The black and white wires in nm-b (romex) will land on the breaker and the equipment ground will land on the ground bar in the panel. It is required to color about an inch or 2 of the white wire black at each end (termination) with a sharpie or tape to identify as using the white as a ungrounded (hot ) conductor.
If any wiring needs to be done at the compressor let us know and we will help you with doing that.
For a 15 amp load wont he need the Nema 6-15R?
Attached Images

Steven Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jackson View Post
For a 15 amp load wont he need the Nema 6-15R?
A NEMA 6-15 plug will fit in a NEMA 6-20 receptacle.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #9

what is a step up transformer, someone was telling me that you can use those instead of having it wired to ur breaker box.... i have no idea what a step up transformer is....
Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dizzle08 View Post
what is a step up transformer, someone was telling me that you can use those instead of having it wired to ur breaker box.... i have no idea what a step up transformer is....
It could change your 120 volt to 240 volt. One large enough to run a compressor would be expensive. Just run a new circuit and do it correctly.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #11

hey thanks guys for the help, i wound up gettin it wired up, turns out my main breaker panel was an upgraded panel, or it was made to handle a lot of amps or whatever, so all we had to do is install a new breaker, and run the wires to the garage and install a new outlet, took bout an hour, but the compressor is up and running, now i can have some fun.... thanks guys, also i wound up goin with bigger, higher amp cables and stuff so if i ever wanted to run a welder or anything i can just plug it in and wont be a problem.. thanks again....
Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Licensed Electrician

Thanks for letting us know you got it done. Sounds good.

Advertisement