Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

Agricultural Buildings

Hi. I need to get power to a Agricultural Building (with livestock) from a 200amp resident service.

I'll need to run across the resident 50ft from one end to the other, then 100ft to barn underground.

I'll be wiring a 100amp panel.

Do the branch circuit conductors need to be in raceway?
Is 12" underground ok for the 100amp?
Is a grounding rod or plate needed?
Do I need a disconnect at the 100amp.

oh i almost forgot...I need to power a fence from 100amp. A 30ft run outdoors to fence.
also...majority of barn is concrete too.

Thanks for help in advance.

Last edited by motorcity11; 10-28-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: add fence.
motorcity11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Agricultural Buildings

Youmay want to hire tu=is out to someone with experience in this type of work. This is not the same as a subpanel to a detached garage. You most likely will need equipotential gradient planes that are not required elsewhere. You don't need to have problems with your livestock.

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Agricultural Buildings

Quote:
Hi. I need to get power to a Agricultural Building (with livestock) from a 200amp resident service. I'll need to run across the resident 50ft from one end to the other, then 100ft to barn underground.
I'll be wiring a 100amp panel.
Quote:
Do the branch circuit conductors need to be in raceway?
The electrical supply conductors from the house panel to the Ag building are feeders not branch circuit conductors. They can be direct buried as long as the equipment grounding conductor is insulated or covered. In your case a 100 amp feeder would need to be in pvc conduit with the electrical supply conductors being thwn individual wires with a insulated equipment ground conductor. These need to be rated to carry the calculated load or no larger than the panel rating of 100 amps.

Quote:
Is 12" underground ok for the 100amp?
No.......18" minimum from top of pvc conduit to grade level. Sch. 80 may be required when you are above grade....sch 40 is ok under ground.

Quote:
Is a grounding rod or plate needed?
Probably two 8 foot rods will be required at the Ag building no closer than 6 feet to each other.

Quote:
Do I need a disconnect at the 100amp.
Yes, a 100 amp main breaker panel with isolated neutral and ground bars would work or a remote disconnect located at the entrance of the feeder and an mlo panel inside or outside (if wet rated).

Quote:
oh i almost forgot...I need to power a fence from 100amp. A 30ft run outdoors to fence.
Not sure what your asking can you expand on that a bit. Are you wanting to know how to power an electric fence from a line voltage source?

Quote:
also...majority of barn is concrete too.
If livestock is confined in the building and will be standing on this concrete and can come in contact with any metal (equipment such as heated metal watering tanks or feed troughs for example) that can be energized from the electrical system then equipotential planes are required to be installed in the concrete and bonded to the grounding system.

Please read this link for your knowledge

http://www.egr.msu.edu/age/extension...Facilities.pdf

Do you need to know wire size for you installation and how to separate neutral and ground at the panel in the AG Building?

Do you have any source references on how to wire a AG Building? This is not quite the same as other detached buildings. You need to know what your doing in order to remain code compliant.
Sort of a complicated installation but is doable if you do your homework.....
It is critical to have a local inspection of your installation by a qualified inspector.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #4

Agricultural Buildings

Thank you Stubbie for your detailed assistance. I have been researching this install and you have helped me a great deal. The branch circuit I was referering to would be from the 100amp to lighting and outlets. Sorry I was not clearer. I have found that NMC or UF would be allowable. Originally I was going to use EMT. Customer is covering the walls, so all wiring will be inside walls.

Thanks again.
motorcity11 is offline   Reply With Quote