Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #1

Share |

After the fact permit

Hi, I am new to this forum and I had a quick question. I just bought my first house that had a home warranty. I had some work done through the warranty program. I was talking to the guy they sent out for the warranty work about doing some electrical work, and he said that he could do it. So I hired him to install some new fixtures. About a week ago, I was in my crawl space and noticed the work he did was subpar, open splices and such. I fixed all the open splices with junction boxes and secured the wiring with staples. After a little research I realized that I should have secured permits for the work. So I would like to do the right thing, but I am intimidated about fines and trouble with the inspectors. I admit that I was niave and should have been more careful. How easy is it to get an after-the-fact permit? How should I approach it?
misterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Eibwen

After the fact permit

Call the local permit inspection office and explain the situation and see what they say. You dont even have to give them your name.

They are there to help keep things safe, not fine and penalize unless its really needed to enforce the code.

It may be as simple as pulling a permit and having the inspector come out and sign off on it. If the work is to code then your done.

In most jurisdictions its the contractors job to secure the permit not the homeowners. Sounds like he may not have had a license.

The permit is now not the issue here since the work is already done, the inspection is to make sure that the work was done correct both for your safety and those who may buy the house in the future.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

After the fact permit

In some cities there is a surcharge, penalty if you insist, for starting work before pulling the permit.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #4

After the fact permit

As a building codes inspector, I agree with what Sammy said. Assuming they are willing to issue the permit for work that was already done, be aware that you will probably be the permit holder and will therefore be responsible for bringing the sub-par work up to code. Although it is unfortunate, some jurisdictions do not allow DIY electric work, and may require you to hire a licensed electrician.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #5

After the fact permit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
In some cities there is a surcharge, penalty if you insist, for starting work before pulling the permit.
We have punitive fines for working without a permit where I work. However, I would have a hard time issuing a fine to a homeowner who contacts me asking for a permit after their contractor didn't secure the appropriate permits. It just depends on who you deal with I guess.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM   #6

After the fact permit

How much work was done. You could apply for the permits as if it was not already done. Then call for an ispection that it is now completed. Being retrofit work there would not be a rough inspection. If you need to, disconnect the new work at the source and then connect it when the inspection gives approval.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

After the fact permit

I would be calling the warranty company and giving THEM an earful. There agent performed the work. Even if he was not supposed to do the work. I think it should be their issue, not yours. If the guy was working on their time, they are responsible.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote