DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   afci trips before gfci????????? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/afci-trips-before-gfci-152233/)

jeremywj 08-01-2012 03:40 PM

afci trips before gfci?????????
 
I wired up some out side circuits 20amp gfci outlets with a 20 amp afci breaker when the inspector puts there test tool in the gfci the afci trips and not the gfci......both test normal when you push the test button and work fine under load,but inspector wont pass it. any ideas what could cause this? they are Square D afci's. I double checked all connections and all are tight I am pulling my hair out! please help...

LooseSCruz 08-01-2012 03:49 PM

Why is this circuit on an AFCI? I was under the impression that GFI protected circuits didn't require AFCI protection as well. I'm sure someone who knows for sure will be by shortly.

wirenut1110 08-01-2012 03:50 PM

Proper way to test either is with it's test button. Does your area require both, you should just need GFCI for outdoor receptacles.

Usually the manufacturers instructions state the proper way to test is the test button. Not the little inspectors tool.:no:

stickboy1375 08-01-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirenut1110 (Post 979126)
Proper way to test either is with it's test button. Does your area require both, you should just need GFCI for outdoor receptacles.

Usually the manufacturers instructions state the proper way to test is the test button. Not the little inspectors tool.:no:

The ONLY way to test a AFCI or GFCI is with the test button, no other testing tool exists.

electures 08-01-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 979214)
The ONLY way to test a AFCI or GFCI is with the test button, no other testing tool exists.

The only way to properly test a GFI or AFCI is to follow the manufacturers installation instructions.

LooseSCruz 08-01-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickboy1375 (Post 979214)
The ONLY way to test a AFCI or GFCI is with the test button, no other testing tool exists.

Ideal makes a tester for AFCI and GFCI circuits...it's just so expensive versus its relative usefulness that I don't think anyone uses them.

But I agree that whatever the manufacturer says is the best option...and that seems to be the good old test button.

stickboy1375 08-01-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electures (Post 979219)
The only way to properly test a GFI or AFCI is to follow the manufacturers installation instructions.

:) better worded than me, thanks.

mpoulton 08-01-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremywj (Post 979112)
both test normal when you push the test button and work fine under load,but inspector wont pass it. any ideas what could cause this?

A stupid inspector. He's doing it wrong. He needs to be pressing the test button on the device, not using his little tester thingy. Since AFCI and GFCI both sense ground faults and only have maximum allowable trip thresholds and clearing times, not minimums, a simulated ground fault tester could trip either one first. It's not a "coordinated system", and it's not required to be. I would normally expect the GFCI to trip first because it's required to have a lower trip current and clearing time, but it's not guaranteed and doesn't indicate a problem.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.