Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

AFCI tripping

OK, I have a AFCI tripping the kitchen dinning area and there is 2 lights and recepticles on the circuit. When I plug a sewing machine in or vacumm it trips when both lights are on. I traced the problem back to a switch. As soon as I was unscrewing the plate the plate screw shocked me. One I was in I noticed the ground to the chandlier was directly hooked to the switch and was not connected to the hot leg / other switch for the kitchen light in the switch box. When I connected all the grounds together the chandelier switch would trip the ARC fault. When I opened the chandelier cover the wires were pressed against the box so hard that the wires were exposed so I fixed the problem but the breaker still kept tripping therefore I changed it out with a new ARC fault and now its fine? Do you think I fixed the problem? I don't believe in just changing out breakers to fix a problem but these ARC faults are a pain.

nicholaspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

AFCI tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaspierce View Post
OK, I have a AFCI tripping the kitchen dinning area and there is 2 lights and recepticles on the circuit. When I plug a sewing machine in or vacumm it trips when both lights are on. I traced the problem back to a switch. As soon as I was unscrewing the plate the plate screw shocked me. One I was in I noticed the ground to the chandlier was directly hooked to the switch and was not connected to the hot leg / other switch for the kitchen light in the switch box. When I connected all the grounds together the chandelier switch would trip the ARC fault. When I opened the chandelier cover the wires were pressed against the box so hard that the wires were exposed so I fixed the problem but the breaker still kept tripping therefore I changed it out with a new ARC fault and now its fine? Do you think I fixed the problem? I don't believe in just changing out breakers to fix a problem but these ARC faults are a pain.
You have two open treads for similar problems. I'd venture to say the problem is not the AFCI but something with the building wiring.
Quote:
One I was in I noticed the ground to the chandlier was directly hooked to the switch
Quote:
When I connected all the grounds together the chandelier switch would trip the ARC fault.
When you use the term ground wire are you referring to a white wire or a bare copper wire?
You would not have a ground in switch that goes to the chandelier.

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote