Afci Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11
Rewards Points: 10
Default

afci question


do bedroom circuits have to be afci in michigan?

Advertisement

ruffsawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 81
Rewards Points: 75
Default

afci question


Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffsawn View Post
do bedroom circuits have to be afci in michigan?

Depends on what year of the code you are on.

Advertisement

M Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Electrician
 
SD515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Near Jackson Michigan Area
Posts: 1,451
Rewards Points: 502
Default

afci question


Currently in Michigan, AFCI protection is only required for bedrooms, but all outlets have to be protected. Lighting, switches, receptacles and smoke detectors, etc.

FYI, an receptacle is not an outlet. Michigan is on the 2008 code, with a few amendments. AFCI rules are one of them.
__________________
Kyle

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD515 For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (02-18-2012), frenchelectrican (02-18-2012), ruffsawn (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

afci question


Yup! What he said ^


DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,208
Default

afci question


Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Currently in Michigan, AFCI protection is only required for bedrooms, but all outlets have to be protected. Lighting, switches, receptacles and smoke detectors, etc.

FYI, an receptacle is not an outlet. Michigan is on the 2008 code, with a few amendments. AFCI rules are one of them.
Don't you mean that an oulet is not necessarily a receptacle?
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Electrician
 
SD515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Near Jackson Michigan Area
Posts: 1,451
Rewards Points: 502
Default

afci question


Mmm…sort of…in lay-mens terms I suppose. By definition, receptacles are devices, the box the receptacle is mounted into is the outlet (I know you know this). I just like to clarify ‘outlets’ & ‘receptacles’ when talking about them. When AFCI’s first came to be required, there was a lot of job-site talk about what needed to be protected. Some didn’t think that lights and smokeys had to be, they just thought receptacles had to be. But it was proven by the definition of the term ‘outlet’.
__________________
Kyle

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 441
Rewards Points: 252
Default

afci question


article 100 nec:receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug.a single recptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke.a multiple recptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

recptacle outlet:an outlet where one or more recptacles are installed.

outlet:a point on the wiring system at which current is taken tosupply utilization equipment.

recps are outlets ...
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

afci question


Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy74 View Post
article 100 nec:receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug.a single recptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke.a multiple recptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

recptacle outlet:an outlet where one or more recptacles are installed.

outlet:a point on the wiring system at which current is taken tosupply utilization equipment.

recps are outlets ...
I just wish the NEC codes rewrite the word outlet to " power point " so it mean it can use to supply the utilzation of the equiment.

The power point is from our French Nomes ( French reguations or French Electrical code ) it the excat same meaning as your word outlet but IMO they ( NEC ) should rewrite it more clear on that.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (02-19-2012), SD515 (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 441
Rewards Points: 252
Default

afci question


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I just wish the NEC codes rewrite the word outlet to " power point " so it mean it can use to supply the utilzation of the equiment.

The power point is from our French Nomes ( French reguations or French Electrical code ) it the excat same meaning as your word outlet but IMO they ( NEC ) should rewrite it more clear on that.

Merci,
Marc
if they did that,then we all would know what they were talking about..LOL
oleguy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oleguy74 For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (02-19-2012), frenchelectrican (02-18-2012), SD515 (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Master Electrician
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,208
Default

afci question


Quote:
Originally Posted by oleguy74 View Post
article 100 nec:receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug.a single recptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke.a multiple recptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

recptacle outlet:an outlet where one or more recptacles are installed.

outlet:a point on the wiring system at which current is taken tosupply utilization equipment.

recps are outlets ...
Yes they are, the point was that outlets do not have to be receps.

Advertisement

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AFCI circuit is tripping another AFCI nicholaspierce Electrical 8 10-27-2013 03:42 PM
AFCI Question baum Electrical 14 08-25-2009 01:27 PM
AFCI breaker question Sheryl Martin Electrical 4 07-06-2009 03:10 PM
Another AFCI Question Bocolo Electrical 17 03-23-2009 09:46 AM
Basement Renovation Question KUIPORNG Remodeling 234 08-26-2008 09:19 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts