AFCI Needed When Finishing Basement? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

AFCI needed when finishing basement?

I am finishing the basement in my house. The house was built in 2004, when I believe the NEC required AFCI breakers only in bedrooms. If I am reading 210.12(B) correctly, just about every habitable area (living room, hallways, closets, etc.) are required to have AFCI in the NEC 2008. The basment had two circuits installed when it was built, one to the lights and one to a gfci receptacle. The way I plan to wire the basement is one of those circuits will supply the basement living are, and the other will run to a bathroom in the back.
Does the circuit that will supply the basment receptacles and lighting need to be on a an AFCI (and if reading correctly the bathroom does not, only needs GFCI), if so is there a specific type for this application, or are all the residential afci's pretty much the same?

Specs for the basment circuit are:
20 amp breaker
12 awg romex
9 duplex receptacles
2 seperate lighting ceiling boxes
1 outdoor light beside an exterior backdoor (door not yet installed).

Advertisement

wvphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Ask your local electrical inspector what is required for your area.

In my area, they have amended the NEC to require AFCI's only in the bedroom. They have also changed the requirements for GFCI's.

Local areas can do this, I have no idea what your area requires.

Usually they have certain office hours where you can go and ask questions. They are happy to answer questions. Also ask them if they have local amendments to the NEC, and where you can get this. For my state it is online or you can purchase a book.

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Under 2008 they are required almost everywhere

Quote:
(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sun rooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.
As Bob said local codes can vary

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
A Dangerous Tinkerer

Rewards Points: 25

Moderater or OP request: please update the title for correct spelling of basement. This did not come up in the initial 'title only' search for AFCI + basement, but did and would have answered my question much more quickly.
mindle is offline   Reply With Quote